News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Questions

Started by Redwall Musician, June 16, 2011, 08:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 07, 2011, 03:52:22 PM
You're making perfect sense and I agree. While I was reading Sable Quean I actually wondered about that - it seemed like the sword played hardly any part at all. Same for the Rogue Crew. I was a little disappointed because it seems like such an important part of the series.
yes, the sword was VERY important in the early days.  however, have you noticed the books with the sword as a focus are...well they end up having plot elements that often parallel.  For an example in Marlfox, Mattimeo, Mariel, the heroes including the Abbey warrior are always following a list of clues to chase down the vermin.  Also, I would say the sword is not as important as Martin's guardian spirit.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Mad Maudie

The internet isn't a country, but fine, do what you want.
[/quote]

I'm sorry i love this comment and in the stories i wright i use martens shield and armor so there you go they were hidden in a brook and an otter found them
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Log-a-Log

I think Matthias probably hid them
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Redwall Musician

Or he gave them to the hermit voles mentioned in the topic The Sparra.
I like hermit voles.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Nightfire

Okay, his sword appears numerous times throughought the series, whereas the shield only appears once. I think he hid the shield, and then the sword was passed on thorugh the generations. Does that make sense?
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

GeminyaTome

Didn't Cornflower use Martin's armor to scare away the crows in "Mattimeo"? I think the armor was just placed in a chest in the gate-house.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Log-a-Log

Yeah, Constance was trapped in the gatehouse when she was putting the armor away
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

rakkety tam

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 17, 2011, 03:38:21 PM
I'm not sure about that Mariel. Like in Rackety Tam, Tam used Martin's sword but his own shield. But you never know...

maybe tam liked his own sheild
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

James Gryphon

Well, it makes sense for Matthias, who is a mouse like Martin, to use every part of the original warrior's equipment if possible; after all, they're about the same size, have similar physical characteristics, and Martin is Matthias' hero. I assume that both Mattimeo and Martin II also had access to Martin's armor if need be.

However, Rakkety Tam and a lot of the other heroes that've used Martin's sword are larger than Martin was, physically, and so using Martin's shield along with his sword wouldn't be the most effective way to protect themselves. Besides, as it, unlike the sword, is not invulnerable, there's no special reason to use it if they already have good equipment.
« Subject to editing »

Redwall Musician

*Musician raises her hand*
Which brings up another question. Martin never used a shield or armor. Not in Martin the Warrior, Legend of Luke, or Mossflower. Where did this shield which was claimed to be Martin's really come from?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Nightfire

Actually, the original Martin DID wear armor, in Mossflower. Reread the parts of the book that come after when he visits Boar, and you'll see. The shield could have been made later.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

James Gryphon

Was working on this before Nightfire posted. It's a little longer, so I'll put it up anyway.

Well, in Martin the Warrior, Martin was an escaped slave, so it's probable that he would not have much in the way of equipment; in Legend of Luke, he was traveling, and taking along armor would have slowed him down (just like how Matthias also leaves the armor behind when he goes on the quest in Mattimeo).

The only time Martin is referenced as using his armor is in Mossflower, and that is mentioned several times:

Quote from: Excerpt from MossflowerTimballisto had found his (Martin)'s old battle armor in the sea rat lockers. He came forward and buckled it on his friend in silence. Setting the round war helmet firmly on Martin's head, he strapped the breastplate on and buckled the greaves about the warrior's paws.

Quote from: Excerpt from MossflowerThere was the warrior, standing armor-clad on top of the wall."

There are various other references made to it by the villains, but I guess that is enough evidence. ;)

The shield itself is never mentioned in Mossflower, so unless it was considered a part of Martin's armor and he simply didn't take it with him, we have to look a little bit further ahead for that for its origin.

My best guess is that just like how the Redwallers made Gonff a flute, which he never used, they also made Martin a shield at some point -- even though he never got around to using it that we know of, it still would have been a nice present for him, considering he had everything else he needed.
« Subject to editing »

Nightfire

Although I guess he was skilfull enough with a sword that he didn't really need a shield. Although, doesn't it mention him blocking one of Tsarmina's attacks with a shield? I'm not sure, but I think I read that somewhere when he was fighting the cat.

James Gryphon

I reread it, but it doesn't mention Martin using a shield anywhere; Tsarmina does tear through his armor and knock his helmet away, though.
« Subject to editing »

Nightfire

You have your entire Redwall collection stacked next to you as you write, don't you?  :D My mind must be muddled, then.