News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Tips for You Books!

Started by WoodlandWarrior, June 28, 2013, 11:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlandWarrior

Here are a few tips for my friends living in humid summer months and want to protect your books.  The humidity can be bad news for books in more than one way.  Mold, silverfish, and book mites are just some of the problems of this season.

1.  All of your books, at least once a year, if not more regularly, should be dusted.  I personally do a complete dusting once a month.  I suggest taking a new small paint brush and brushing the top, bottom, and sides of the book.  Then gently, skim through, spot dusting.

2.  While flipping through, inspect the binding for any mold build up or glue wear.  Mold in a book provides a food source for book mites.  Getting rid of mold in a book can be relatively simple, usually requires a bit of elbow work but unfortunately can present a problem if it is real bad.

3.  If you have silverfish or book mites, this is the time of year for them, remove all your books and thoroughly vacuum your book shelves.  Flip through the books, gently shaking loose any hanger ons!

4.  Once the book is clean, put it by a window in full sunlight for the two insects are not fans of direct sunlight.  Also, if the infestation is bad, try putting your book into a ziplock bag for a week.

5.  If the room you keep your books in is quite humid, a dehumidifier is recommended to keep the area dry and cool.  Silverfish and book mites love dark and humid areas.  I try to keep my shelves near a window so the light hits them - but not fade my books!

Hope those help! ;D
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax