News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Anyone see any good movies recently?

Started by Ferrousferret, August 01, 2013, 12:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferrousferret

Exactly as the topic states.

The most recent new movies I've seen have been the Girl Who Played With Fire & The Point of No Return.

The Girl Who Played With Fire is a swedish film & part of a low budget trilogy based on the popular crime thrillers- the Millenium Trilogy (ala, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) definitely worth watching, although I wouldn't reccommend it to youngsters for several reasons that I'm not entirely sure I can even say on here.

The second is a spy thriller from the early 90s. Recently, I've fallen in love with the amazing TV series Nikita & it's well written characters, fast paced action & constantly moving drama. I ended up finding out that it's only part of a massive franchise spawned by a French film, Nikita, from the early 90s, which spawned two remakes- one american & one from Hong Kong- and a previous TV series, La Femme Nikita. Naturally, I was curious. However, after reviewing the American Film, The Point of No Return, I have to say the story has evolved WAY past what it was originally & the original film just kind of meanders without really knowing what it wants to do or where it wants to go, even skipping over a lot of the decidedly good stuff & just saying it happened already. This one wasn't too explicit- the only thing I really saw wrong with it was language, but I still don't think it's for everyone. That is to say, a lot of people might call it boring.

Lutra

In theaters?

Only movie I've seen in theaters recently is Monsters University.  Kind of sends a mixed message in the end.  Its an interesting look at life, though it is somewhat unrealistic....you can't always work your way up the ladder to good jobs. I guess it really depends if Mike or Sulley needed a "scaring degree" to work at Monsters, Inc. but if they really didn't, why go to college and waste the time and money? Tough message to send kids.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Lutra on August 01, 2013, 11:35:03 AM
In theaters?

Only movie I've seen in theaters recently is Monsters University.  Kind of sends a mixed message in the end.  Its an interesting look at life, though it is somewhat unrealistic....you can't always work your way up the ladder to good jobs. I guess it really depends if Mike or Sulley needed a "scaring degree" to work at Monsters, Inc. but if they really didn't, why go to college and waste the time and money? Tough message to send kids.

Aye, but ah liked it av ze zame.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

blindsimeonjtp

Redwaller

Watched After Earth this weekend, and it was pretty good.

Norham Waterpaw

I watched Iron Man 3, World War Z, and Monsters University.

All were awesome and Amazing.  :D
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Shadowed One

Quote from: Norham Waterpaw on November 06, 2013, 11:57:50 AM
I watched Iron Man 3, World War Z, and Monsters University.

All were awesome and Amazing.  :D
I watched Iron Man 3 and Monsters University too!
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on August 01, 2013, 11:35:03 AM
In theaters?

And, if you look at it from another angle, it says that not everybody can live out there dream. Sometimes its just not possable. For example, person who is like 110 lbs. and has no muscles dreaming about becoming a wresler someday, when most of the wreslers can be like 300 lbs and have most of there body weight be muscles (I know, thats a little obscure ;D). Yes, you can strive to live out your dream, and most of the time, if you push full-forward, living that dream can be very possable. But sometimes, it just isn't possable, and kids really need to know this to be prepaired for life.
After reading this, I think that its obvious that I wached Monsters Universaty. I did, and I loved it! The characters were bright and original, and the whole movie was just pure fun! And, as I said before, it has some inportant lessons. :)

Life is too short to rush through it.

rachel25

I wen to the cinema the other week, to see Thor the dark world
great, amazing, brilliant film! It was the best Marvel films since Iron Man 3  :) (I like the Iron Man films)

redwallgurl

Yes! I'm seeing Thor this Friday so I'm hoping it's good.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: redwallgurl on November 06, 2013, 11:53:09 PM
Yes! I'm seeing Thor this Friday so I'm hoping it's good.
I've heard of Thor...is the movie directly about the Greek god?

redwallgurl

It's kinda like a super hero action movie. Thor is one of the Avengers.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Redwaller

Actually, Thor is a Norse hammer-wielding god.

And the movie sort of ridiculises Thor, he acts a bit, how can I say this... not very bright. But the movie is still pretty good.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Redwaller on November 07, 2013, 10:56:34 PM

And the movie sort of ridiculises Thor, he acts a bit, how can I say this... not very bright. But the movie is still pretty good.
Realy...

rachel25

Quote from: Redwaller on November 07, 2013, 10:56:34 PM

The first one is really bad, but the second was amazing! I just think the character Loki is awesome, and I love the depth of his character.  ;D