News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Mafia Discussion

Started by Skyblade, July 29, 2015, 02:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to choose, would you prefer to be Town or Mafia?

Town
1 (8.3%)
Mafia
11 (91.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Skyblade

Hey Corny, do you mind starting your game already?

There are only 5 people left in both 2 and 2.5. Both games are almost over (most likely to result in a Mafia win :P)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Cornflower MM

Okay, sure. I'll go do that now!

Skyblade

Thankee!!

So, food for thought. Is it more difficult to play as Town or Mafia? Here's my humble take on it.

At first thought, one may say, "Well, duh. Mafia is harder to play. It's just you and one other person against a whole Town, and you have to avoid being discovered!" Certainly, the odds seem to be against the Mafia's favor. But look at this from another view:

The Mafia has a HUGE advantage over the Town: knowledge. They know who is good and who is bad. They know who to vote out in the Day. The Town is the one who has to 1) Find who the Mafia is, and God knows they won't make that easy! and 2) Convince others that they are right.

With the Mafia messing things up and evidence that may or may not be true, the Town is often confused and misled. That's why it's hard to be Town.

Don't get me wrong, playing Mafia is hard as well. It's certainly more nerve-wracking, and their small numbers don't help.

Overall, I think both factions are challenging and worth a shot.

Cornflower MM

Actually, next time, I was hoping to get to be Mafia. :P I've been Citizen, Medic, and now host. Playing Mafia looks like fun, too!

Skyblade

Playing Mafia is a lot of fun. It seems hard because you're at a numerical disadvantage, but the knowledge of knowing who's on which side really helps you carry out your plans. Also, Town can be dumb sometimes, and easy to lead astray.

Skyblade

I didn't vote in the poll because it depends for me. But wow, so many people would prefer to be Mafia ;D

People have mentioned that this game is fun only if you have an actual role, which is understandable. I actually kind of feel the same way. So I'm thinking of starting a game in which everyone has a role. Of course, I would need to do some research to find such a setup (or create one of my own) that is still fair for both sides.

We're still in Mafia 3, but to be honest, not many people are posting there :P

Anyone down for this idea?

James Gryphon

I actually thought about doing that (within the past day or two), but debated whether I really wanted to get into the Mafia thing or not, given my less than sterling experiences with the game in the past.

I figured that the initial roles in the game would be hidden, but that each player's role would be revealed upon death. (I've never liked not revealing roles on death; from the games I've seen, it seems to me that it gives the Town next to no information to go on.)
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

I bet you would be good at Mafia, just based on your skill set, but it's your choice.

I completely agree with that second statement; I prefer when roles are revealed upon death. It gives Town a lot more to work with. You can analyze votes, make Mafia partner connections, and, well, KNOW who had which role (Town and Mafia).

Another idea I like is starting the game in the Day. So, the first action you do is lynch someone. That way, we don't have scenarios in which someone is killed Night 1 and basically signed up for nothing. Everyone can participate at least a little.

Cornflower MM

I wish the next Mafia would hurry up and get here. :P I've barely gotten a chance to play Mafia. . . . Del and I ended up killing each other in a day episode after one of us was voted out and we were the Cupid Couple. :P

Jetthebinturong

I'd like to host the next Mafia game.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Skyblade

Cornflower MM