News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Celtic Woman

Started by Icefire, September 02, 2011, 05:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

It was an extraordinarily fun concert.  From what I've seen, Del, I think you have a good taste in music.

Delthion

Why thank you. *Raises one eyebrow debonairly.* ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, Gaelic Storm, "Nancy Whiskey" is a good song by them, also "I'll Tell me Ma." You might want to check out Tommy Makem and Liam Clancy if you like Gaelic Storm. They do more ballads than Gaelic Storm, and it's much slower. But the general tone is the same. Until you get into the later albums, then it's sadder.
"Two for the Early Dew" is the saddest. But anything before that, especially the live ones are great. The live ones have really funny interactions between Makem and Clancy.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Banya

I am not unaware of your love for Tommy Makem and Liam Clancy.  ;)  I listened to one of their songs you posted, and I like their sound.  I'll check out their live songs.  When I saw Gaelic Storm live, the crowd got really into "Kiss Me I'm Irish" (that's just such a great one).  For you I'm going to recommend Flogging Molly - though they're harder and faster than Gaelic Storm.  I don't know if it'll be your style, but I think they're great.  Try the Drunken Lullabies album first.

Delthion

Their names sound like they were written for Gaelic Storm. ;D ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Icefire

Quote from: Delthion on March 26, 2015, 03:19:52 AM
Why thank you. *Raises one eyebrow debonairly.* ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, Gaelic Storm, "Nancy Whiskey" is a good song by them, also "I'll Tell me Ma." You might want to check out Tommy Makem and Liam Clancy if you like Gaelic Storm. They do more ballads than Gaelic Storm, and it's much slower. But the general tone is the same. Until you get into the later albums, then it's sadder.
"Two for the Early Dew" is the saddest. But anything before that, especially the live ones are great. The live ones have really funny interactions between Makem and Clancy.

Not sure that anyone actually looks at this thread anymore, but if anyone does...

I'm not super familiar familiar with Gaelic Storm, but I do like "The Devil Down Below." I even suggested it as the theme song of the corsairs during the third RP Tournament.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Delthion

I like that one too! ;D ;D Have you heard "Go Home Girl"? That's a really funny one. ;D ;D

Icefire

No, I haven't! Like I said, not super familiar with them. I'll have to look it up. "Nancy Whiskey" cracks me up every time it comes up on my Celtic Woman pandora station just for the beginning. I still have no clue what it's about because something distracts every. single. time. :(

Delthion

"Nancy Whiskey" Another great one! Have you ever heard "Johnny Tarr"?

Icefire

No, I haven't!

Totally off the Gaelic Storm topic. I've never seen the Quiet Man, but it sounds familiar. Is that the movie that "Isle of Innisfree" is from? I love that song! I even had a banner made themed around it because I love Orla Fallon's verson!

Delthion

Speaking of Orla Fallon, have you heard her version of "Ni Na La"? I don't know why but when I listen to that my spirit is lifted to unforeseen heights! ;D ;D

Dawnwing

I'm going to see Celtic Woman in concert this week!  I'm so excited! :D

I see Gaelic Storm was mentioned - I saw them in concert earlier this year; they were near here on July 4th. I got a spot right in front, and after the show they stood off to the side of the stage so that whoever wanted could get pictures taken with them and autographs and stuff.  My friends and I waited til the end of the line so we were able to stay and chat a bit.  It was a good show, very funny.  Some of my favorite songs of theirs are "One More Day Above the Roses" (which was their final song at the concert) and "Hello Monday".

Firehawke

The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Vilu Daskar

My dad thinks Lisa Kelly (Is that right?) is the best singer ever.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.