Saddest moment

Started by Log a Log Grenn, June 12, 2011, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

Quote from: Mariel on June 17, 2011, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: martins#1fan on June 17, 2011, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: Mariel on June 16, 2011, 11:43:31 PM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 16, 2011, 08:22:27 PM
I don't really cry to much while reading Redwall. Rose is really sad, but anyone dying is sad.

Me too.  I know this isn't really in the spirit of the thing, but it's hard for me to get upset when the characters die.  After all, they are just rodents.  Still, this is why Redwall is appropriate for young readers so I don't really mind it.
True they are rodents, however, Brian meant for them to be more like people than rodents.

Yes, sometimes when I'm reading I forget what species they are as the line blurs between human and rodent.
If you stop and think about it for a moment, isn't that one of the thing's that makes Redwall such a great series. The characters stop being just animals and become extensions of our personalities. :)

DanielofRedwall

That horrible moment at the end of Martin the Warrior... won't ruin it for people who haven't read it, but those who have, you know the one I'm talking about. Brought me to tears, that one. :'( when *OUTCAST OF REDWALL SPOILER* Skarlath died I was almost crying as well, he was my favourite character. *LOAMHEDGE SPOILER* The Bragoon and Sarabando bit when they died is pretty sad as well.
Received mostly negative reviews.

SpringWitch

Rose and Piknim (Pearls of Lutra) are tied for first for me. I physically cannot read Martin the Warrior again because of Rose. I remember its was traumatic (I was nine or so when I read it) because I was reading late at night under the covers with the torch and I burst into tears. Worst part was I had to be quiet so my parents didn't find out.

I agree about Legend of Luke too. The whole second part is slightly depressing because Luke and Ranguvar are genuinely likeable, but its always at the back of your mind that they die, because you already know from the beginning that they're dead. On the other hand Legend of Luke is also the only Redwall book where a character doesn't die. Luke and Ranguvar die in the story thats being told but no actual characters die.

Martha Braebuck

There is a ton of sad parts in Redwall.

One of the worst parts was when Jukka the Sling was killed in Lord Brocktree and Skarlath was killed in Outcast of Redwall  :'( :'(
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

Redwall Musician

The saddest moment is when Brian Jacques died.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Spring Breeze on June 12, 2011, 07:44:27 PM
Rose dying, usually makes me cry but what really makes me cry at that part is what Martin is saying to her.
Bragoon and Sarobando is the saddest part of any Redwall book for me.
What was the thing Martin said to her? I forgot.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Tiria Wildlough

My saddest part was when Cregga died in The Taggerung. She had been in, like, three books.
It was like a punch in the stomach.  :'(
Also when Piknim died. Once I was rereading that bit, and I got up to where Craklyn sings, I closed the book, saying to myself, 'I can't read it, it's too sad.'
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Another tear-jerker might be when Deyna is first kidnapped, and his family doesn't know anything, and then they find his father's body... so sad.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Spring Breeze on June 12, 2011, 07:44:27 PM
Rose dying, usually makes me cry but what really makes me cry at that part is what Martin is saying to her.
Bragoon and Sarobando is the saddest part of any Redwall book for me.
Same for me! I can't decide which is more sad though
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

sabretache5611

Sniff.  Just reading the forum topic makes me sad.
Rose's death was the saddest moment in my opinion.  I have to say that Shogg's death in Triss was very close behind.  the other moment on the same level of sadness would be Skarlath's death in The Outcast of Redwall.  I really didn't expect Skarlath to die and Sunflash's poem at the end made it even more sad.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Martha Braebuck on June 21, 2011, 05:42:44 PM
There is a ton of sad parts in Redwall.

One of the worst parts was when Jukka the Sling was killed in Lord Brocktree and Skarlath was killed in Outcast of Redwall  :'( :'(

DON"T YOU DARE FORGET FLEETSCUT!!!!!  :'(  
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Matthias720 on June 17, 2011, 08:54:13 PM
Quote from: Mariel on June 17, 2011, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: martins#1fan on June 17, 2011, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: Mariel on June 16, 2011, 11:43:31 PM
Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 16, 2011, 08:22:27 PM
I don't really cry to much while reading Redwall. Rose is really sad, but anyone dying is sad.

Me too.  I know this isn't really in the spirit of the thing, but it's hard for me to get upset when the characters die.  After all, they are just rodents.  Still, this is why Redwall is appropriate for young readers so I don't really mind it.
True they are rodents, however, Brian meant for them to be more like people than rodents.

Yes, sometimes when I'm reading I forget what species they are as the line blurs between human and rodent.
If you stop and think about it for a moment, isn't that one of the thing's that makes Redwall such a great series. The characters stop being just animals and become extensions of our personalities. :)
true.  just asking, would you then classify the Redwall series as Anthropomorphic???

James Gryphon

Cluny the Scourge's death at the end of Redwall... it's such a close fight, and the main villain getting killed by a cheap trick like that is a real heartbreaker...

Along the same lines... Tsarmina drowning, Gabool getting killed by Skrabblag, Ferahgo the Assassin dying because of Urthstripe, and Klitch getting poisoned.

;)

Okay, seriously, Piknim dying probably ranks among the highest up there... also, there's the deaths of Russa Nodrey, and later Rockjaw Grang, in The Long Patrol.
« Subject to editing »

sabretache5611

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 05, 2011, 01:38:49 AM
Cluny the Scourge's death at the end of Redwall... it's such a close fight, and the main villain getting killed by a cheap trick like that is a real heartbreaker...

Along the same lines... Tsarmina drowning, Gabool getting killed by Skrabblag, Ferahgo the Assassin dying because of Urthstripe, and Klitch getting poisoned.

;)

Okay, seriously, Piknim dying probably ranks among the highest up there... also, there's the deaths of Russa Nodrey, and later Rockjaw Grang, in The Long Patrol.

OH STOP MAKING ME CRY BY MAKING ME REMEMBER RUSSA AND ROCKJAW!!  :'(

Okay im fine, i was a little overexaggerating, but those two were the saddest moments in The Long Patrol