News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Phantom of the Opera

Started by Søren, March 26, 2012, 08:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varleyfray

I....have to weigh in here. XD

I cannot stand any iteration of Andrew Lloyd Webber's version of the story. He's awful. Musically, he's awful, lyrically, he's awful. His version of the story was like a kids' book re-telling. Even my nephew (7) thinks it's terrible. Granted, my cherubic little pally was brought up in a home filled with musicians, music theater and avid readers...so he knows what's good for him.

As far as musical versions of the story go--the Ken Hill version is good for a laugh! But the Arthur Kopit version (staring Richard White, originally. You might know him as Gaston from the animated Beauty and the Beast!) is musically far, far superior (lyrically not so much) and the story, if a little wobbly, is more engaging--the film version of that show (not a musical) starring Charles Dance, who was incredibly charming and witty in the role, was even better.

There's also a FANTASTIC 70's version of the story, a musical as well, called Phantom of the Paradise. It's hilarious and awesome and full of 70's goodness!

Ironically...the most accurate telling of the original story is actually the pretty terrible 80's horror flick version, starring Robert Englund. Yup. Freddy Krueger.

Varlyfray, why do you know all of this stuff off the top of your head?  Because I lived with avid phans in Seattle, one of whom wrote an extensive book reviewing and analyzing pretty much every version of the story ever created, and we had long, long conversations about what was right and wrong with so many variations.

I also head up a steampunk Phantom project, because I'm like that. ;)

Icefire

Wow! You sound like me. Very thorough when it comes to tearing apart a movie! ;D

Varlyfray, why do you know all of this stuff off the top of your head?  Because I lived with avid phans in Seattle, one of whom wrote an extensive book reviewing and analyzing pretty much every version of the story ever created, and we had long, long conversations about what was right and wrong with so many variations.

Seattle? You're a Washingtonian?

Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Varleyfray

I used to be. I'm back in the mid-west now. And man, do I hate it here! :|

MatthiasMan

I always wanted to go to England.

My favorite part of The...Opera is the music.

Icefire

Quote from: Varleyfray on April 14, 2012, 06:17:46 PM
I used to be. I'm back in the mid-west now. And man, do I hate it here! :|
Too bad! I was thinking, "Finally someone from my state!"

QuoteI always wanted to go to England

What's England got to do with anything?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Varleyfray

Quote from: Icefire on April 16, 2012, 04:26:32 PM

QuoteI always wanted to go to England

What's England got to do with anything?

XD  I have found that a lot of folks on this forum just post in topics to look at their own words on the screen.

@Matthias....ugh. Really?  Go listen to something with a bit more brain, like some Sondheim (but skip the horrible Sweeney Todd movie.)

rachel25

Have you seen the film Phantom of the Opera if so do you like or not who's your favourite character and such
My favourite chapters is Phantom

Lily

Mod note: I merged the new Phantom thread with the old one. Carry on. :)

I can't really pick a favourite character. The Phantom, of course, but I also really like Meg. I think she's cute. Her masquerade costume is one of my favourites.

BadgerLordFiredrake

I like Colm Wilkonson as the Phantom the best.  Coincidentally, he was also the 10th anniversary Jean Valjean, but I think the 25th anniversary was the best Javert.

But that's another topic.  :P
baby turtle forever

Lily

It is another topic, but it's hard to talk about musical actors without talking about all their roles, huh.

I'm not the biggest fan of Colm Wilkinson's Phantom, but I think he was a great Valjean. I agree with you about Norm Lewis' Javert, though. He was fantastic.

Quote from: Varleyfray on April 11, 2012, 03:25:44 AM
But the Arthur Kopit version (staring Richard White, originally. You might know him as Gaston from the animated Beauty and the Beast!) is musically far, far superior (lyrically not so much) and the story, if a little wobbly, is more engaging--the film version of that show (not a musical) starring Charles Dance, who was incredibly charming and witty in the role, was even better.
I missed this last time I looked at this thread... I love the Yeson/Kopit version too, though I've only seen it in Japanese. The English lyrics are pretty terrible but the music is wonderful, which is why I prefer it in Japanese.

WoodlandWarrior

I've only read the novel and have seen the silent film with Lon Chaney.  The film, if you enjoy silent films, I know that is not everyone's cup of tea, is really brilliant...and scary I might add.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

MeadowR

Phantom is a wonderful musical! Love it! That is to say - the stage show. The music is splendid and I was most fortunate finally to see it at the theatre last year for it's 25th anniversary tour. The film version pales in comparison with the quality of the stage shows. :)

I should really read the novel some day.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Lily

Ohhh, you saw the anniversary tour? Which Phantom did you see, John Owen-Jones or Earl Carpenter?

You should read the novel, it's really good. Like WoodlandWarrior said, the film is really good too.

MeadowR

^ I'm not sure... :( I don't tend to buy the pricey programmes and of course it's hard to make out people's faces properly from afar. I'll see if I can find the info online and hazard a guess. :D

Okay, just checked it! Apparently it was John Owen-Jones. :)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Lily

Oooooo. He's great, I have his album. :)?I would love to see him live, but living on different continents makes that difficult.

I collect theatre programs, so I always buy them when I go to a musical. I've been to... quite a few. You should see my collection from this year alone. :P