News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

If the books were written for an older audience

Started by KaiTheDog, May 16, 2012, 03:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiTheDog

What do you think the Redwall books would be like if they were written for teenagers or young adults, or maybe even adults (but not in that way when I say adults)?

I think each individual book would have spanned multiple novels ( each book that were have now, like Martin the Warrior, ending up as their own series) and would've had more character development that breaks the "Black and White" morality deal.

Coobreedan

This is a good "What if". I guess it would be like Game of Thrones.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

KaiTheDog

Quote from: Coobreedan on May 16, 2012, 05:03:11 PM
This is a good "What if". I guess it would be like Game of Thrones.

Y'know, I've always wondered what a Redwall/Game of Thrones crossover would be like. I like both, so it would probably be pretty awesome.

Redwallfan7

Maybe more swear words or

sorry, gotta censor this: s*x
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

KaiTheDog

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on May 16, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
Maybe more swear words or

sorry, gotta censor this: s*x

...Maybe the last one is a little too mature :/ . If the series was written with the Furry Fandom in mind I could see it as being possible, but something about that might not settle well with the non-furry fans or people who are simply uncomfortable with that sort of thing.

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

redwallgurl

I think it would definetly cut out some celebrations and songs and I think more sweawr words and probably more gruesome. I think it would go into detail about harsh things and make the ligther things sound probably a bit differently.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Bragoon

I wouldn't read it.  As a rule, I find that adult fiction is boring.

In my opinion, the pinnacle of literature is reached in children's stories that can be just as fun for adults.  Books like the Chronicles of Narnia, Captains Courageous, Alice in Wonderland, and The Wizard of Oz are stories that I will read to my children someday, because even though they may be rather childish in some ways, I still get a feeling of adventure, inspiration, and empathy with the characters.  I can feel pride when accomplishments are made, lessons are learned, or a terrible monster vanquished.  I can feel lonely when Eustace is turned into a dragon and when all of Dorothy's friends have gotten what they wanted, but she still can't get home to Kansas.  I can rage at the villain, feel tender towards a damsel in distress, or feel smart when that bit about the letters and words having different flavors makes sense.
I can be confident that, no matter what happens on the way, everything will actually be alright.

I can feel all the good emotions, the ones that accompany a good friend, a soft dog, or a warm fire, and not have to deal with any of the utter nonsense that comes with books like Game of Thrones and the later entries in the Harry Potter series, like hate, bitterness, and of course other things that need not  be mentioned on this site.  If you're going to read a book specifically looking for that sort of thing, go out into the real world and live your life for a while, you'll get plenty. 

I'll be inside hiding from that for a few fleeting moments.  We can get back to that after Alice wakes up.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

redwallgurl

Perfect ^ really good. I definetly want to be like that when I grow up. You just became my role model.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Tiria Wildlough

Well, if they were, I probably wouldn't have continued reading them. I'm not allowed to read adult stuff, and anyway, things tend to get less interesting as the rating is upped. :P
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

GeminyaTome

Brian seems like the kind of author who, no matter who the intended audience was, would keep it clean and light hearted. Redwall, in general, is a happy place for old and young. It wouldn't be Redwall if it were for an audience as ya'll describe.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Skipper

To be honest Redwall just wouldn't be the same if it had adult content in it. Swear words are not nearly half as funny as some of the insults mentioned in the book, and other adult content would be kind of taking the spirit of it away.

psybox

the way dog said it made me think that he/she meant in interest level, not content.  of course that seems to be disproved.

Lutra

Question for Kai:

Are you suggesting something like where a series is written around one character who has many adventures (e.g. Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt character)? 

I don't know how many different adventures you'd get out of Martin the Warrior, but I'd imagine they'd all look very much alike after the first two or three.  Even good series written by authors in this way get old and dry after time.  I think Mr. Jacques did it best by not reusing characters over and over again, therefore you do not get a tired story about the same characters time after time. ;)

Just my two hazelnuts...
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

MatthiasMan

If the books were written for adults, it would have more...Hmmm...Maybe it wouldn't have animals in it. Because I have noticed that my parents really don't like animal books. And I have no idea what Redwallfan7 is talking about so.