News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

River otters why do most of them use slings and javelins.

Started by Vilu Daskar, August 06, 2012, 09:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilu Daskar

I just want to know why river otters use slings and javelins. ???
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Redwallfan7

I don't know, it's one of those things that Brian left it up to the readers to decide the real reason.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Lutra

Problem with slings and javelins? :P

Anyway, I have a thought as to why they have them.  Javelins, or rapiers, for humans anyway, have been useful in fishing and spearing fish.  The slings, because they use pebbles as projectiles, are easily found by otters in streams and rivers and are easily replenished.  That would be my guess. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

GeminyaTome

Quote from: Lutra on August 07, 2012, 02:23:01 AM
Problem with slings and javelins? :P

Anyway, I have a thought as to why they have them.  Javelins, or rapiers, for humans anyway, have been useful in fishing and spearing fish.  The slings, because they use pebbles as projectiles, are easily found by otters in streams and rivers and are easily replenished.  That would be my guess. :)
Actually, I think that the reason otters use slings is because real otters use rocks to pry open clams and shells. Interesting, huh? Things you can learn from the Animal Encyclopedia.....
Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Psalm 90:2,4

Rusvul

cause slings are awesome! i can use my braided black leather one irl! (with not very high effectivity)

redwallgurl

probably since they can use the materials around them to defend themselves
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Stripedog

Otters have short arms. I think having them throw stones and javelins is more realistic.

Lutra

Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra