News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Star Wars discussion

Started by blindsimeonjtp, October 07, 2012, 03:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

Hey, look at me! I'm flying next to water and I'm fine! *gets eaten by alien water monster*

Dannflower Reguba

Okay, you seriously dissing the epic water shot? What if they're trying to avoid being seen or detected by ground-based radar? What if they're lining up for a shot? You don't know what they're doing! And besides, where's the danger? Luke's X-wing sat in swamp water for a long time, but worked just fine.

Revenge of the Sith was supposed to be dark, it featured one of the most powerful Jedi alive at the time turning to the dark side, and the majority of the Republic being brought to it's knees in a single attack.

Soccer's awesome! Why not have a droid look like a ball.  :P There's nothing wrong with that.

Seriously, why do so many people have to scream gloom & doom at Star Wars VII just because it's being made by Disney?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Jetthebinturong

Some people are just pessimistic and I think they subconsciously want it to fail

I don't want it to fail, but I don't have my hopes set too high

I also don't understand the prequel hate
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 01, 2014, 11:00:50 PM
Some people are just pessimistic and I think they subconsciously want it to fail

I don't want it to fail, but I don't have my hopes set too high

I also don't understand the prequel hate

Indeed.

I'm not so much setting my hopes low or mediocre so much as being willing to accept the fact that it could very well fall short of what I am hoping for.

You mean why so many people hate episodes I-III? If so, I'm totally in the same boat, I very much Enjoyed the first two, and the third wasn't bad, it just wasn't as much to my taste.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Izeroth

I don't think the prequels were the most wonderful thing ever, but I don't think they're nearly as bad as everyone seems to think they are. I would have removed a few things (Jar Jar), but don't try to tell me that the originals were flawless (Ewoks).

As far as the upcoming movies go, I don't think they're going to be that bad. Yes, they will undoubtably mess something up, but I don't think that they'll be the train wreck everyone is predicting.

CaptainRocktree

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on December 01, 2014, 08:04:48 PM
Oh boy... Don't get me started on this. The lightsaber looks ridiculous. And I really don't think it would be helpful.

The droid is a soccer ball.

I wouldn't fly X-wings that close to water, either. It looks dangerous.

My main fear is that they turn Star Wars into a sci-fi psuedo-horror thing, instead of the epic fantasy it was originally. It was already heading that way with Episode III.  :P

My thoughts are that J.J Abrams loves mystery,suspense, And a lot more, In that way keeping the trailer opened to a lot of different thoughts and ideas of what the movie will turn out like in the end! But still I'm not a big fan of the trailer  :P
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Søren

Quote from: danflorreguba on December 01, 2014, 10:58:52 PM
       Okay, you seriously dissing the epic water shot? What if they're trying to avoid being seen or detected by ground-based radar? What if they're lining up for a shot? You don't know what they're doing! And besides, where's the danger? Luke's X-wing sat in swamp water for a long time, but worked just fine.

Revenge of the Sith was supposed to be dark, it featured one of the most powerful Jedi alive at the time turning to the dark side, and the majority of the Republic being brought to it's knees in a single attack.

Soccer's awesome! Why not have a droid look like a ball.  :P There's nothing wrong with that.

Seriously, why do so many people have to scream gloom & doom at Star Wars VII just because it's being made by Disney?
Finally! Someone who understands! No one does IRL!

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

As for avoiding detection, well, that's something else, but generally different types of ships are used for very low level assaults. Anyways, at the speed the X-wings were flying impacting water would be like hitting cement...

As for darkness, it's not my thing. I don't want to watch a movie to feel depressed or horrified etc.

The droid jsut looks silly. Where is the functionality in that?

I wouldn't be happy with Lucas making the sequels. I didn't even like how he handled the prequels! Honestly, I didn't think they added that much. All we got from them was clones and Darth Maul. And a severely annoying bratty spoiled Anakin as a Jedi Knight.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Izeroth

Anakin was pretty bratty, I wil admit :p But you have to remember, his brain was corrupted by the dark side.

Dannflower Reguba

These guys fly in and out of hangars daily..... I doubt flying a couple of feet above water is going to present them much danger, also, they may not have had a choice of vehicle. Still epic  :P

It doesn't have to be your thing, it has to be logical. Episode III was logical, they'd been building up to that with Episode II and kind of in I, what were they supposed to do? Make Anakin's turn to the dark side all sunshine & rainbows?  ::)

High maneuverability? There are a lot of things that don't make sense, don't diss one droid just because he was in a trailer for a movie that everyone wants to be bad. :P

Bratty? Maybe, spoiled? Absolutely not. This kid was a slave for crying out loud! Obi-Wan trained him semi-reluctantly. A lot of people had negative notions of him. He had quite a lot to overcome! One of those things being his pride.

Hickory

Ohhhhhhh!! Episode 7 trailer!
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

OK, but generally, you try not to take unnessesary risks, regardless of how "good" you are.

The droid? All I'm saying is it's silly.

Look, the whole movie was all darkness and death and evilness. It didn't have to be sunshine and rainbows, but, I mean, at least do the whole Captain America thing where everybody dies but in a heroic way fighting for liberty or whatnot. Not getting shot in the back. When you have ultra force-powers that should let you avoid it...

As for spoiled, well, anybody but the "Chosen One" would have been kicked out of the Jedi Order long before.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Søren

That "Chosen One" thing was stupid. That's gotta be the most worn out phrase for someone special. But everything I see Obi Wan leave Anakin on fire, it just gets me right there.

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

Just cut off his head and be done with it! Save a lot of trouble...  ;D
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on December 03, 2014, 10:25:27 PM
Just cut off his head and be done with it! Save a lot of trouble...  ;D

Bad idea, Vader was the one that killed the Emperor. He caused a lot of trouble, but the trouble would've happened without him, and he was the reason Luke lived.

The Jedi knew nothing of order 66, the clones responded immediately. Since Jedi are honorable, they lead from the front, which made them easy targets. Yoda had time because the officer that went after him was alone, and received his orders a decent amount of time before he had a chance to go after the sage.

They may not go about taking unnecessary risks, but we still don't know how, "unnecessary," their low flight was.