Which Book do you think would be a good starter for someone new to the series?

Started by Maudie, April 23, 2013, 06:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Book do you think would be a good starter for someone new to the series?

Lord Brocktree
8 (16.7%)
Martin the Warrior
4 (8.3%)
Mossflower
9 (18.8%)
The Legend of Luke
0 (0%)
The Outcast of Redwall
1 (2.1%)
Mariel of Redwall
1 (2.1%)
The Bellmaker
0 (0%)
Salamandastron
0 (0%)
Redwall
15 (31.3%)
Mattimeo
0 (0%)
Pearls of Lutra
2 (4.2%)
The Long Patrol
0 (0%)
Marlfox
3 (6.3%)
Taggerung
1 (2.1%)
Triss
1 (2.1%)
Loamhedge
1 (2.1%)
Rakkety Tam
0 (0%)
High Rhulain
0 (0%)
Eulalia!
0 (0%)
Doomwyte
0 (0%)
The Sable Queen
1 (2.1%)
The Rogue Crew
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

KitrallStreamrippler

The original. Then again, I mostly voted for it because I am really weird about reading book series. Even if they could be read in any order, I will always read them in the order they were originally published. (I get angry at my friends for reading Narnia books chronologically, actually. *sheepish grin*) Anyway, good luck with your friend. I hope she becomes a Redwaller.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Redwaller

Quote from: Osu on April 24, 2013, 01:46:37 AM
I think the original Redwall is always the best to read first. If it doesn't look interesting to her, perhaps Legend of Luke or one of the later books, like Rogue Crew, would be a good suggestion?
I'm happy I started with Redwall instead of the others. IMO it was the best.

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.

Blazemane

It's really hard to guess how each different book would seem to this new reader, but my first instinct is Lord Brocktree, too. I'm biased, because it's my favorite of the series, but I think it could really grab the reader's attention because of just how high the stakes are in the book. You get basically the strongest hero of the series going toe-to-toe with the most successful (possibly strongest?) horde in the series. To me, the whole thing feels epic.

My only worry would be that after she read it, she wouldn't enjoy the other ones as much--but that's not likely, since different books appeal to different people in different ways.

...Which could quite possibly make my own reasons for suggesting Lord Brocktree completely pointless. But I'm rambling now. Lord Brocktree; go with Lord Brocktree.

KitrallStreamrippler

Mossflower might actually be a good one- my friend just started reading the series, and that's the one he stared with. He liked it, too. ;D
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

WoodlandWarrior

I always tend to go with the book that is published first.  It establishes the author's style and what not.

However, now a days, I read them in chronological order to see how they all link up.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Redwallfan7

Well, as I mentioned bfore, I would recommend that new readers start out with Mossflower. They'll get a general idea about the woodlanders and see what the adventure was like before Redwall Abbey was built.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Saolta Oiche

I started with Outcast of Redwall and it remains to this day my FAVOURITE! It got me into it and I have not found a better one, though I have only read a few. I fell in love with the concept and, well, just all of it.

I loved it so much I went and bought a signed hardback one and that is my treasure.  :)

That reminds me, I must read it again!   :D
Have fun, smile and keep your head high. Be as happy as a hare!

Maudie

Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on May 06, 2013, 08:41:40 AM
The original. Then again, I mostly voted for it because I am really weird about reading book series. Even if they could be read in any order, I will always read them in the order they were originally published. (I get angry at my friends for reading Narnia books chronologically, actually. *sheepish grin*) Anyway, good luck with your friend. I hope she becomes a Redwaller.

What order were the Narnia books written in? I always assumed that they were written in the chronological order.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I haven't talked to my friend about Redwall for a while but I think I said something to her about reading either Lord Brocktree or Redwall first.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Redwaller

Publication:

• The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe    
  • Prince Caspian    
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader   
  • The Silver Chair    
  • The Horse and His Boy    
  • The Magician's Nephew    
  • The Last Battle    

Chronological:

• The Magician's Nephew
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • The Horse and His Boy
  • Prince Caspian
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  • The Silver Chair
  • The Last Battle

KitrallStreamrippler

Please read them in the correct publication order! That is the way that C.S. Lewis intended it!

CrazyPug37

Well, I started out with Pearls of Lutra, which in my opinion, was a great book to start out with.  I basically had no knowledge of Redwall at that time, but the book made perfect sense to me.

I've got to go with Pearls of Lutra, then
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Seychelles, Malawi, Guinea, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritius, Madagascar, Congo, Gabon, Togo, Burkina Faso, Western Sahara

Afrika United