Round 4: (Swords) Picking Up the Pieces

Started by BrookSkimmer, May 27, 2013, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icefire

As Sora spoke, Liv tried desperatley to process her words and fulfill them, but the thought of losing this precious friend was almost too much. Yes, she knew she shouldn't focus on her loss, but on what Sora was gaining. After all, she would see Sora again. Be happy....

She said softly, "I cannot promise that I will always be happy, but I promise I will try. I promise to remember you with joy, my friend."

Liv placed a paw on that of her friend and longed for the day when she too could enter into Dark Forest. Liv knew Sora was right. Really there was no reason for her to continue mourning her fallen family and friends when she knew she would see them again. Why only yesterday afternoon she had told Vannøyne that they ought to live for the dead, not mourn for the dead! Was it really only yesterday afternoon? It seemed like weeks had passed since that peaceful time...

Liv didn't dare look at Spera for fear she would lose control and begin to weep despite Sora's last wish. She closed her eyes and tried to think of some happier time...It wasn't so difficult as she thought it would be. She remembered Sora dancing for the joy of a new season just yesterday! She smiled as she remembered how the dibbuns loved her. She remembered the times when she and Spera would refuse to let her train continually and would force her to play her fiddle for them instead. Liv hadn't been kidding when she said that Sora and Spera had given her another reason to live...

Liv felt someone place a paw on her back and heard Xbalantie's words. She turned in surprise and received a greater surprise when she saw how warm the squirrel's features looked for once. She had never seen Xbalantie smile let alone look caring!

"Thank you, Xbalantie!" She managed a small smile, "I know she speaks the truth but....it's so hard sometimes..."
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Leatho Shellhound

*Vannøyne looked down on the beach; he saw a few beasts walking to the caves. After a bit the sand was abandon by the cave dwellers, sea birds came down to eat from the dead.

“I must let go of the sadness within to give joy to others” Said the young mouse. Hiking down the cliff he walked slowly over the shore on his way to his work shop. Some birds took off into the air as he passed them. Light drops of rain were already on their way from the dark grey clouds above as he entered the small door to his work place. Every thing was as it had been, tools hung on the wall, saw dust on the floor and a table in the middle. He set to work right away carving branches in to shape and nailing them in place. Stepping back he viewed his work. A little wooden boat, about the size of a dinner plate, lay on the table. He painted the words “Seafur” on it. Taking his cloak off of a hook on the back of the door he went out in the now pouring rain with his little boat. Running through the wet sand that sprayed on his legs, Vannøyne stopped in the shallows of the stormy waters. Setting his little boat in the waves he watched in being swept away.

Taking his dripping cloak off as he stepped into the main cave he walked around to the wounded Swords to see how they were faring. After helping some beasts to hand out food, he rapped some up Liv and headed toward her. As he saw Liv and Xbalantie standing by their dear friend Sora, who had fallen into death’s sleep. He quietly stayed back to respect Liv’s privacy in her sorrow.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Rainshadow

Spera had felt like jumping up and screaming with joy when she saw her friend lying in the cot next to her, but as she heard Sora's words, her excitement slowly faded.  What was she talking about?  Surely Dark Forest wouldn't welcome her yet!  She had so many more seasons to live!  And her wounds, they didn't look fatal.  At least, not the wounds that she could see.  But then Spera heard the albino cough, and saw small flecks of blood flying out.  A chill ran down her spine.

As Sora turned and spoke to Spera, the young maid smiled ever so slightly, surprised that anybeast could think she was beautiful.  She certainly didn't want to agree with her friend, even if it may have been laced with truth and not just Sora's biased opinion, so instead, Spera kept her mouth shut.  She was slightly embarrassed by the attention, but there was no need to try and ruin what could be Sora's last moments.

Sora coughed again, making Spera's heart sink even further.  She felt tears coming to her eyes, and she nearly let them flow freely down her face, but what Sora said next made her hold them back.

"--and you have to be happy! Promise me you will be. Pr...promise..."

"I... I'll try my best, Sora," she said, holding out her paw to try and take the albino's.  She was too far away, however, which made the squirrelmaid want to cry again.  She was probably the happiest creature on the shore, but in this moment, she didn't know how she could continue with her life.  Her cavemate, her friend, was dying, and there was nothing she could do about it!  But then she remembered earlier, when she had met her own parents.  It had been a wonderful moment, one that she hadn't wanted to wake up from.  Suddenly, she didn't feel so sad anymore.  Sora was going to a better place, somewhere far away from the cold shores.  She'd be with family, friends, and many other beasts who'd keep her company.  What was there to be sad about?

A single tear had fallen down Spera's face, but now she dried it, a bit of a sad smile coming to her face.  It would take her some time to get over this, but she would see Sora again.  It might be sooner than later, if she didn't learn how to fight better!

The light faded from Sora's eyes as Spera whispered, "Goodbye, my dear friend.  Know that I have always seen you as a sister to me, and that while I may miss you, I will not mourn you, for I know that you have a wonderful time ahead of you.  Goodbye."
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Ceteruler

Joan quickly sucked in a breath to keep from being choked to death by the hedgehog's hug. Thankfully her cloak mostly protected her from spines pricking her skin. She let out a soft sigh and gently hugged Nevfae back.

"How did you survive?"

"Heh..." that wasn't the reaction she had expected, especially since the hedgehog had probably been present at her savior's burial. At least it wasn't one of fright or disbelief. Joy was much, much better. Quickly gathering in all the information she received from Nevfae. Thankfully she was able to take it all in, but before she could do anything to react her paw was grabbed.

" But that's not important. You're alive! C'mon, let's go and tell Marcus!"

Joan blinked as she was dragged toward the caves. Not needing much urging, she ran along with Nevfae, not bothering to look back at Gol, the apparent name of the vermin. Before long they were in the main cave which appeared to be the main infirmary. Noticing several swords standing over a body, her breath caught in her throat.

"Who..." Grinding to a halt, she freed herself from Nevfae's grasp and went over. Liv, Spera, and Xbalantie were standing over the dead body of... Sora. Joan let out a soft sigh, not bothering to see if they noticed her. She was so brave and so young. Poor thing... Quickly, though, she cleared that from her mind.  Turning around, she hurried through the main cave where she would find her husband.
Marcus had started to fall into an uneasy sleep, the mousemaid in his arms watching him silently. When the sound of rushing footpaws approached him, however, he slowly opened his eyes. Before him stood a cloaked and hooded mouse, along with Nevfae. Blinking slowly, he tried to clear his mind as he looked up at the mouse, who kneeled at his side.

"Oh, Marcus, I'm so glad you're alive!" she said, immediately removing her hood. Marcus's eyes widened and he stared at Joan for a long moment. It wasn't possible. She was dead.... Marcus had seen her buried. How could this be?"

"Joan...? No... Who... who are you?"

The little mousemaid slipped from Marcus's arms, her eyes wide. "It...  it Joan! She 'live! Moooooommmaaaa!" She ran off yelling, repeating the phrases over and over. Joan's face broke into a grin as she watched her go, then, turning back to Marcus, gently placed her paws on his cheeks.

"It's me, love. I'm back. I have quite the story to tell you. But for now, you need some rest, alright?"

Marcus was silent for a long moment, looking up into her eyes. It really was her. There was no denying it. Slowly a smile broke out on his face and he weakly reached up his arms and held Joan close to him, letting a shudder run through his body. The newly returned, happily hugged his neck gently and rested her cheek on his shoulder, tears of joy coming to her eyes.

By now many of the cave dwellers were staring at the two and murmuring amongst themselves. Was it really true that Joan was not dead? Some claimed she was a faker, others thought she was a ghost. Neither were true- she was alive and well. Before long, Marcus's arms went limp around her as he fell into sleep, a contented smile on his face despite his severe head wound.

Slowly, after a few long minutes of enjoying his embrace for the first time in seasons, she slowly sat up and moved Marcus so he was lying down, careful to make sure his head was stable the entire time.

"Oh, Marcus..." she whispered softly, holding his paw tightly. "I just wish that Andrew would have made it, too..." tears continued to track down her cheeks.

With a long, deep breath, she looked up at the cave dwellers and their mixed emotions. So much grief and pain had just been suffered from the vermin attack, she knew. Maybe, just maybe, she could help bring a little comfort to them by letting them all know she was back.

The mousemaid shyly made her way back towards Joan, her paws held behind her back and her gaze on the floor. "Mm, mm, Missus Joan...?"

"Yes, dear, what is it?" Joan shifted to sit on her knees, giving the mousemaid a warm smile despite her tearstained face.

"Are, are ya really 'live? Notta ghost, or someun else?"

Joan held out her arms to the mousemaid. "Come, let me give you a big hug, and then you can decide for yourself." There was little hesitation from the Dibbun, who jumped forward and hugged Joan with all her tiny might. Joan could barely keep in a joyed laugh as she returned the favor, glancing up and around at everyone who was watching her.

"Yer not dead!" The mousemaid chirped, pulling away a bit. "Yer 'live! Yer real, real, 'live!"

Now Joan could not hold it in. Laughing, she reached out and ruffled the fur on the Dibbun's head. "Yes, yes, I'm really alive. Now maybe you can go and tell the people who don't think so? Try and convince them for me."

With a smile, the Dibbun turned and did just that, telling everyone that she was alive. "Ah, such lovely innocence," Joan murmured to herself before looking back at her unconscious husband. He was fine for now... and thoughts of Sora crept into her mind again. Slowly she stood up and looked around. Ignoring anyone who tried to stop her, she made her way back to where the dead creature lay. Joan glanced at those standing around the dead body and let out a little sad sigh, not bothering to be inconspicuous and willing to talk to the Swords who would talk to her.

BloodGullet

As Golfar and Nevfae traveled back towards the caves, a strange feeling of purpose filled and lifted her spirits. A feeling she was definitely not used to. With that and the warm sun and the pain slowly receding, she was able to actually smile a bit. She even chuckled as the hedgehog tore off to see her friends in such a hurry that she ended up having to brush off quite a bit of sand from her front. She mounted the rest of the hill, not quite enough for every one in the cave to see her as she was still wary of their reaction, but enough to be able to scout out the coast.  One thing she knew about how these raiding parties went, if it goes badly, you can count on two things, if you live, you still might get left behind in everyone's mad rush to leave, and the left will be very desperate and dangerous as they know they have nothing to lose.  Scanning what was left of the long boats and seeing the trail from the ones that pushed off she could see that there were a vermin not accounted for since the number of boats that were not sunk or burning must have been used to evacuate the remainder of the crew.  But the boats only held so many, and then counting the dead beasts on the beach, it seemed that there may have been about a half a dozen or so still out there.  This does not look good for the woodlanders she thought.

So, building up her courage, she stepped out into the open where the few beasts who were at the entrance could see her.  She could see that they had turned their home into a small infirmary and were busy about the business of consoling each other or weeping over their dead.  There was a small gasp from the crowd at the front that quickly grew larger.

"I know you have no reason to believe or trust me, but I want to warn you that your home is still in danger.  I can tell that not of the crew has left.  I am Golfar the white, and I will ...." but her words were cut off by a yell from behind her and she spun around.

"Belay that ye scurvy turncoat!" bellowed Wormguts, one the mangiest rats among the crew. From off to the side and now poking his head out from where he was concealed in the bushes came the rat and six of his companions that survived the battle. The rest were no better than their leader, typical skulking, slimy vermin ready to stab anyone in the back for a breadcrumb. Hmmph, typical of him and those others to survive. Probably hid in the bushes during the fighting she thought. "We'll just have to do this sooner than later now that ye betrayed us" he continued.  The group formed into a sloppy semi-circle behind him and started advancing.

She pulls herself up to her full height and rips off her veil.  With her bleached fur and skin and horrific scar, and red burning, glaring eyes, she looked like something from a nightmare. Drawing her sword and pointing it at them, she growls out a simple fact, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" The image she presented with the sun flashing off her blade, made the vicious crew not only stop, but take a step back.

Wormguts could sense his small band losing their nerve so he chastised them into action, "Don't let one stoat make ye turn yellow! There be only one of her, and some wounded woodlanders!  Where's ye backbone?!" With that, the small band started advancing again.

"You dirty pirate bermin! You no hurts my friends!" a small shrill voice from the crowd belted out. A gasp from the crowd followed the sounds of little feet scampering over the rise.  Little Joey, having seen all of his friends and family so brutally treated by the invaders, had been busy at work in the back of the cave whittling a small wooden sword, more of a stick with a smaller one tied to it and the end sharpened, but a sword in his mind. Charging with all of the ferocity and bravery of the pure of heart, Joey made a beeline for the closest of the vermin, yelling a war cry all the way.  Golfar's reaction was an instant reflex and she sped on a course to intercept. She had to drop her weapon in order to scoop the young dibbun up and knowing where the pirate was and what he would be doing had crouched over Joey in an attempt to shield him with her body.  But the blow never fell. Instead, at the moment she expected the impact form the falling sword, she heard a zipping sound, a thud followed by a choking and gurgling sound and then the sound of the vermin falling over. She looked up to see the body of the vermin laying near her with an arrow sticking through its neck, an arrow made recently by Golfar. She looked back at the crowd to see Nevfae standing tall at the top of the hill with her bow at her side, looking every bit the warrior.  "Well shot Nevfae!" Golfar hollered.  By then one of the beasts from the caves had reached them and she was able to hand the dibbun off so she scooped up her sword and prepared for battle.

The mix of vermin were the worst of the ship, three rats, two weasels and a ferret, all battle hardened and without a shred of mercy or fear of battle.  They did the thing which would make the most sense in their case, and surrounded her in a circle.  That way each had an opportunity to strike at her back without putting themselves in danger, or so they thought anyway. Immediately Golfar recognized this as the drill she used to hate because of the blows and bruises from the wooden training swords. Even the fact that it was hot as it was during her training and the ground was hard flattened sand was too much of a coincidence.  This time however, the swords were real and wouldn't be leaving bruises. Ah, Sensei, I hope I make you proud today thought Golfar.  She took up her position and, trying to remember the lesson, focused and cleared her thoughts and opened her ears to every little sound.

The crunch of sand behind her was as loud as a bell and she knew what to do. The spin, parry and thrust were so fast and furious that the rat did not even know he was dead as she moved on to the next attack that came at her from the other side. From a distance it seemed as if Golfar was spinning in a crazy dance, dodging bending throwing her sword in wild abandon, with a din of banging steel in a constant barrage of sound with sparks and flashes of sun off of the blades adding to the spectacle.   For Golfar, time again slowed to a crawl and she seemed to see the next attack before it came and was already finishing with one while preparing for the next. Once when there was an overhead strike from one of the weasels, she dodged to the sword side, and blocked with a strike so as to use one move for two, and as her sword traveled down her opponents with a song of steel grinding, her eyes locked on the weasels. One thought passed between them and that was just the awareness of the weasel's imminent doom, for the tip of her sword found his throat as it made its way to the end of its journey.

For the onlookers, the battle seemed to stop as soon as it had started and they were amazed, wondering if they had really just seen what had just happened in front of them.  However, it was not completely finished. One rat was left, their leader Wormguts.  As the last of his crew was falling to the sand, he had scooped up a pawful of sand. As Golfar turned, he threw the sand into her eyes.  She stumbled back for an instant but recovered.

"I should expect no less from the likes of you, Wormguts!  Always taking the cheap and easy cheating way, not a strong enough beast to fight a foe who can see you!" These words seemed to cut deep, and with a fury, he yelled and attacked. "I'll gut ye!", he bellowed. The first few parries were easy enough, as she had seen him fight often enough, and one eye was still almost usable, although very blurry. Then she saw her opening.  He always loses his patience and temper and just starts hacking from the side like he is chopping at a tree she thought and as the swing came in from the side, she brought her sword up sideways, point forward to block and position for the thrust.  As she stepped forward and completed the motion, she knew she had struck deep and fatally. His hot voice was hoarse and raspy in her ear, "yer not any better than the res' of us, and ye ain't winnin' the day, once a pirate, always a pirate, traitor!", and with that she felt the long dagger that was in his other hand strike deep through her chest.

The crowd, who did not see that last blow, saw the rat fall, and then Golfar turn away, leaving her sword behind. Taking three steps, she collapsed in the sand. Looking up to the sky, she struggled to breathe.  Soon blood foamed out of her mouth and she knew the end was near. Somebeast scooped up her head and was saying something, but there was a roaring in her ears. She struggled to say, "Nevfae, . . . tell . . . Nevfae . . . tell my story. I . . I wasn't all bad, was I? Here . .  this is . . for her", and she handed her ruby necklace to the beast that was holding her.  Dimly through her blurry eyes she started to see a rainbow, and below it a peaceful field that ended in a Dark Forest. A path running through the middle of the field passed through a solemn looking gate that was wide open.  "The forest, my family . ." her words were cut off by choking coughs of blood.

Soon, she was dancing with her family in the field below the rainbow, on the other side of the gate.

She was finally home.
When ye hear me muzzle lock, say yer prayers, ye bilgerat!

W0NWILL

*Nevfae turned from Marcus and Joan to see Joey run, swinging his little toy sword, at the vermin. She turned on the spot and raced after Joey, but as the hedgehog was a fairly slow beast and Golfar was closer, she just slowed down, trusting Golfar to get Joey away.

And then Golfar dropped her sword as she hunched over Joey, protecting the little dibbun with her body.

Time seemed to move in slow motion. Nevfae could clearly see the vermin raise his sword to bring down on Golfar and Joey. She grabbed an arrow from her quiver, a straight ash one, feathered with new leaves, and set it on the string. Pull strong, take your time, but not too much, release when you exhale. It was very good that her sighting eye had remained intact. She took aim and fired just as the corsair began to swing his sword. A horrible gurgle choked from his throat and he fell over rather comically(if not for the situation), straight onto his side, his cutlas sliding from his limp paws. Nevfae lowered the bow, smiling mirthlessly. Gone was the joking hedgehog. In its place was a young warrior, "That's for the dead." she whispered for herself, and maybe for their spirits as well.

Grimble was the first to reach Golfar. He was an aging mole, but still strong from work in the caves. He lifted Golfar's head and brushed away the blood around her mouth, "Hurr, we'm be a-gettin' you'm back to ee caves, now, fix ee roight up." he said.

"Nevfae, . . . tell . . . Nevfae . . . tell my story. I . . I wasn't all bad, was I? Here . .  this is . . for her"

Grimble looked down at the ruby pendant and nodded, taking it from the stoat's limp paw, "You'm be ee foine und wurthy beast, oi'm shure." he was mostly talking so Golfar could hear a voice on her journey to the Dark Forest. He had been working on healing since he had grown too old to do much farming, and he could tell that the blow had caught her in the lung, maybe even the heart.

Nevfae couldn't stop a small gasp of shock and fear when Golfar collapsed and ran toward her, throwing aside the bow and quiver as if they didn't matter. A small crowd was forming by the time she got there, but they let her pass, she had been the only one who knew Golfar at all. Nevfae knelt beside Golfar, paying Grimble no attention until the good mole passed her the ruby pendant. She clung to it like she was clinging to life itself, tears falling fast and thick. She had grown close to Golfar in the past few days, gotten a real, close friend, and it was too soon for Golfar to die. She knelt there beside Grimble as Golfar breathed her last words.

"The forest, my family . ."

Otherwise known as the last words Nevfae would hear from Golfar until she, too, died.

But that was another story.

Icefire

Liv couldn't believe her eyes! Joan was alive?! But she herself had seen Joan lying dead as they prepared her for burial....didn't she? Those days were all a blur to her. She had only caught a glimpse of the dead mouse before she had set off with her father, Alexo Aegis, and Vannøyne to search for the missing Martin and they had missed the funeral while they were on the hunt. And yet, there stood Joan...alive! Liv stood wide-eyed as Marcus was at long last reunited with his beloved bride. At that moment, Liv's tears turned to tears of joy.

When Joan approached, Liv took a step nearer and stuttered, "Joan?! How-"

A yell from outside the cave interrupted the conversation.

"You shall not pass!"

Liv Aegis turned sharply about and saw a small band of vermin approaching the caves. Between the tribe and the pirates stood...a stoat? Before Liv could react, little Joey had raced outside waving his toy sword about only to be saved by the....stoat? At this point, Liv stopped trying to process the scene and began instead to try to force her way to the front to help with the defenses. Unfortunately, the tribe was in a panic and she couldn't make it to the front until the stoat had already taken care of most of her crewmates. Keeping an eye on the two remaining vermin, she edged her way forward and took a sword from the paws of one of the now dead rats. Liv decided to watch as the two pirates fought, prepared to take on whichever survived the duel. She watched as both vermin fell and took a step forward, sword at the ready, only to be stopped by her fellow tribe beasts frantically telling her that the stoat was with Nevfae. It didn't take long before the hedgehog arrived beside her fallen friend.

Xbalantie smiling...Joan alive....A stoat on their side.....Nevfae serious....What next?

Liv looked down at the newly dead vermin and then scanned the surrounding area before turning back towards the tribe, "SWORDS TO ME! Our work is not yet done."

She frowned as she considered the situation. One Sword had died and two others were severely wounded. Each of those still standing, including Liv herself, had received their own wounds during last night's battle and all were exhausted. How could they possibly hope to protect their home in this condition? Liv Aegis' eyes shone with determination, wounds forgotten. She would fight to the death to protect her tribe even if she had to do so alone.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Leatho Shellhound

*Vannøyne turned around to the sounds of commotion and confusion. A female mouse passed him. A ghost!? A spirit!? No, she was flesh and fur. Joan, Marcus' wife who was believed to be dead, how had she survived? It was almost unbelievable what had taken place in the past few days. So much happiness, anger, sadness, and now joy, the joy Vannøyne felt for his friend whose wife was returned to him.

Then he turned his head to yet another shout, vermin! The scum, the doomed-to-die scum who would not let the creatures of these cliffs in pease, what did we have of value. Those beasts of hell, they will die, die by my sword. How dare they set foot on are still blood bathed shore. I have to give it to them, they have some nerve to show there ugly fat faces, asking to plunder.
     Hearing Liv’s cry, he ran out by her side yelling
     “We will raise our swords against our enemies, and defend our coast and loved ones. Swords of Freedommm!!!!”
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Dannflower Reguba

*     "Thank you, Xbalantie!" She managed a small smile, "I know she speaks the truth but....it's so hard sometimes..." Xbalantie could not deny the truth that Liv's words held just as the truth in Sora's rang true through the cave, "Hard yes, but you and I both know that through hardship comes the greater things in life." The squirrel decided that it was best for her to leave Liv and Spera alone for the time being. She left to look for Joey, as she hadn't yet seen him on the premises, "Joey!" No reply, now she was concerned, what could have happened? Joey should be around. She searched the entire cave with little success.

"SWORDS TO ME! Our work is not yet done." Xbalantie was out of the cave in a flash, she still had her pipe on her, and she proceeded to load it. She was surprised to see one of the crew members layed out this high on the shore, the fighting had taken place well away from here. It wouldn't be until later that night when she found out about Golfar's parting sacrifice. She shouted to the vermin as she came abreast of Liv, "Thou has made a grave mistake, coming to these shores! You will not live to make that mistake again!"
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This