News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Civil War, 1861-1865!

Started by Blaggut, November 05, 2014, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Mask

Eh. I must say I agree with Jet. But it's interesting to read all your opinions and ideas on it. :D
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Blaggut

So, what's everyone's favorite battle? (If you say Gettysburg because it's the most commonly said, I will slap you  ::))
~Just a soft space boi~

The Skarzs

The battle between the Ironclads.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Blaggut

Yeah, that was pretty interesting.
~Just a soft space boi~

Conrad the Painless

I'd say mine is the Battle of Fort Sumpter, kind of the first battle.
"Our Lord and Savior.....The Easter Badger, shall pierce the darkness with his scepter and  guide us through the night...."

Blaggut

I like Antietam and Chacanouga.
~Just a soft space boi~

Conrad the Painless

Hey Blaggut, do you know anything about Artillery Cannons mounted on trains? I know they were used during the first world war, but I've not heard anything about them in the Civil War.
"Our Lord and Savior.....The Easter Badger, shall pierce the darkness with his scepter and  guide us through the night...."

Izeroth

I haven't heard anything of that. I think most fighting as done on the ground, with a few sea battles. Most of the South's railroads were devestated on the "march to the sea" I believe.

Conrad the Painless

Conrad the Painless

Wylder Treejumper

Battle of Five Forks- Officer incompetence! The Confederate General Pickett and his assistants were at a shad bake when Sheridan attacked!  ;D
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Blaggut

Psh, that's nothing compared to General Brag at Chatanouga  :D :P

However, the south did have better generals until Grant.
~Just a soft space boi~

Jasper

Hello Blaggut, I can't claim to be much of a history enthusiast, but I've recently read a quite interesting newspaper article concerning a gentleman on the Union side during Pickett's Charge which may interest you. (As someone who loves the Civil War so much, I'm going to assume you know what Pickett's Charge is  :D) Apparently he rallied his unit and the spot he stood was the exact spot that the charge was routed. Hundreds of years later, he was awarded a very late medal of honor for his actions. Apparently it sets a record for the longest time after death to receive the medal.