News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

RP Announcements Response/ Discussion

Started by Dannflower Reguba, July 26, 2019, 12:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

And so it begins! This topic is being launched as a directly related to that of the RP Announcements (go figure). As much as I hate redundancy, I find it likely best to reiterate the purpose of this thread. Discussion of new ideas is the entire purpose here, both those mentioned in the associated announcements thread, as well as those of your own, or held by others in the community. To establish some ground rules, immediately defer to the general, forum rules: http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=86.0

Major things to note for this thread:

1.) No spam - This should go without saying, but I say this with the inclusion of simply saying things like, "Yay!" or, "Eh." If you're going to post here, please take the time to give some reason as to why you've posted. What are you excited about? Why are you turned off? Etc.

2.) Show respect - This topic is also going to be (hopefully) the home of the ideas that members would like to present for the betterment of the RP board. They may be good ideas, they may already be implemented or in the works, and they may very well be not as great in practice as they are in theory. This does not serve as a reason to rag someone over any ideas that you may feel are stupid or otherwise foolish. Giving your thoughts on ideas that you see potential issues with is perfectly fine, but such comments should be made constructively, with the intention to respectfully offer a view they may not have considered yet.

3.) Read twice - This goes for the announcements, other posts, and your own. Make sure you properly understand what it is that you're reading or saying before you go about formulating opinions and saying something publicly. This simple discipline will save you a lot of heartache and embarrassment! Also, yes, I absolutely say this from experience.

4.) Ask questions - YES, you are absolutely allowed to ask questions here! Questions are a fantastic way of clarifying particular details that may not have been fully expressed previously, please do not hesitate (beyond following guideline #3) to request clarification!

I believe that about sums things up for the moment. Bear in mind that this topic and its' associate are currently tests, and that although they are entirely serious, the other staff and I will be monitoring them to assess their usefulness, as well as their community impact, and how y'all handle yourselves herein. I trust that you're capable of acting maturely here, and expect to see solid thoughts expressed. Please do not let this scare you away from sharing, as I'm fully aware that not everyone spends as much time writing as I do. Simply make sure that you're at least trying to add something, even if it's a simple opinion.

The floodgates have opened! Let the discussion, COMMENCE!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Jack the Quick

Hmm, I really like this idea. So we'd write up a detailed description of our world, write a map, then post it in the world states? I agree completely with you, reading other RPs I have also noticed that problem. I find the way BJ created his universe makes for less complicated plots and more or less the same ideas being retold. I am in favour of this idea. A few questions though. Would there be a data bank of some sort on the front post that lists all of the current world states? And when you're creating a new RP, at the beginning would you add in the world state, new or already existing? That's all for now, and I really like this idea.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Dannflower Reguba

My hope for an individual world state is that the base idea would be shared, and then refined by a group to curb the edges so to speak. As far as implementing this idea, I'm currently unsure of the exact details; However, if I were to speculate, I'd likely create a new, sticky topic in the OOC board for the development of these states, allowing multiple members to come together on a single project. Once completed, the originator of the idea would likely compile all relevant information into one post with a mention using my name. At that point, I would add it to the World State Directory, which would either be the first post of that very topic, or, if enough states were created with enough variance between them, the directory could warrant its' own, sticky/locked topic. I might be a tad confused on your second question, but if what you're asking is essentially how a GM would implement a world state, I'd say the best method would be to have a "disclaimer" of sorts as a separate paragraph from the rest of the post. This short piece of writing would then be used to indicate the world state being used, and could be extended to explain any changes being made to that state for the RP being created. Hope this answers your questions!

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Jack the Quick

Thanks, Dann! That answers all of my questions, and clears other things up. I'm really excited as to how this will turn out, I think it'll be really cool!
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Cornflower MM

Regarding the new announcement: my first reaction would be to put all the OOC: discussion at the beginning of the topics when they're merged, but if (for some reason) people want to go back and read through some duels, they would have to go through all the OOC: discussion. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the idea of putting it at the end, but that would probably make for easier reading. Fewer spoilers, as well.

Tungro

Personally I would leave the current OOCs alone and just make it apply to new duels. A better idea might be to make a pinned overall OOC topic where all duelers talk about there perspective duels.

Dannflower Reguba

The reason that I plan to combine them (as well as why the regulations have changed) is due to the amount of clutter they create (along with the searching topics). They use up a lot of space, and are hard to get rid of because we don't have a completion board for OOC's. Combining all of them will allow me to dump all information for a duel into one topic within the completed duels board, reducing space used. I briefly considered an all OOC, but quickly decided against it as it would be too confusing to use properly, and would greatly increase the difficulty of retrieving relevant information.