News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Microsoft Office or OpenOffice?

Started by Matthias720, September 19, 2011, 07:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you use: Microsoft Office or OpenOffice?

Microsoft Office
OpenOffice
I don't use either

Matthias720

Which office suite do you use? And if you use Microsoft Office, which version do you have?

Personally, I use OpenOffice, because it's free.

Coobreedan

I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Folgrimeo

I'm using Microsoft Office as I can't stand OpenOffice's long startup time (I don't bother keeping a QuickStart on because I only open a word processor once in a great while, but it still bothers me how it loads the whole enchilada - same reason I don't like Adobe Reader). Microsoft Office also looks a bit nicer, and if someone wants a Word document, I'll deliver a Word document (albeit formatted for Word 95) because I don't trust the enterprise to be widely using OpenOffice.

For most of my own personal documents though, I go with a simple text file because I never use advanced features that a word processor provides.

Lutra

Microsoft Office all the way.  I tried OpenOffice a while back and it didn't impress me.  Took a very long time to startup (what did it need to run?) and some of my important documents, already made for MS word, didn't appear correctly.  Not worth the price to try and recreate files for OO and even then, work uses MS Office, so unless I have a personal vendetta against Microsoft and their office suite, I'm not dropping it anytime soon.  2010 version works great here. :D
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwall Musician

I use OpenOffice, most of the time.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lily

I got Microsoft Office for free when I bought my Mac, so I use Microsoft Office. Before that I used OpenOffice because it was free and I liked the way things worked behind the scenes a lot better. Word files were HUGE and OpenOffice files were nice and compact. Plus, horray for open source!

DanielofRedwall

Microsoft office, I mainly use the word documents and powerpoint. I don't really need to use the other ones. Our school uses 2003, I think, so it's quite old, but we have the most up to date one at home.
Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

OpenOffice, because it's free.

I don't use Microsoft Office's features enough to ever justify paying money for it, and OO seems to do what I need it to do, the very few times I use it. I can't say it's the best program ever, it has its flaws, but it works well enough.

The times I've needed to use it, though, are very few and far between. I don't ever process just words in it; I use TextEdit for that.
« Subject to editing »

Skalrag of Marshank

We usually use Microsoft Office 2010. I've never heard of Open Office... I think I use Word the most...My brother is obsessed with making crazy Powerpoints right now...
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Tiria Wildlough

Microsoft Office 2007 here.
Quote from: Skalrag of Marshank on September 22, 2011, 11:04:23 PM
...My brother is obsessed with making crazy Powerpoints right now...
I want to make a PowerPoint, but PowerPoint isn't working on my computer. >:( >:(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.