Sandpaw's Duel Chat with Ashes: And now Groddil

Started by LT Sandpaw, September 30, 2016, 03:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Several times is an understatement. :P
I like the idea of a training session, with some fancy tumbling thrown in. And I was thinking about James' idea of it not happening all at once. It could be a small short duel, then a rematch (And rematch and rematch. :P) Thoughts?

LT Sandpaw

That could certainly work. I'm certainly down with doing several rematches, but how would you want to do them? We could have one character win, and then skip to the next bout, or RP a bit in-between and return to the next bout for the loser to try again.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

LT Sandpaw

@James Gryphon  Do we post the duel on the duel board, or in the Tournament Board? I suppose you can move it if you need to, but for now I'll be following Sage's example.

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on October 08, 2016, 04:00:29 PM

That could certainly work. I'm certainly down with doing several rematches, but how would you want to do them? We could have one character win, and then skip to the next bout, or RP a bit in-between and return to the next bout for the loser to try again.

*Shrugs* Perhaps RP a bit in between?

James Gryphon

@LT Sandpaw: Looks great so far. Barranca's a stoat, though, not a fox.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

Are you sure? I could have sworn he was a fox.

James Gryphon

Rasconza was the fox. Barranca was Conva's (another stoat) brother.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

James Gryphon

One more thing: I might reconsider the designation of Sagitar as his "right paw"; if memory serves me, Ublaz referred to Lask by a title not dissimilar to that in the book, and he (as Monitor General) certainly seemed like a more feared and valued asset than the chief trident rat.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

Can't wait to start this, Sand, but I'll reply when I have energy.
Was up 'till three last night watching movies with friends.

LT Sandpaw

Cool, take your time Ashes, I certainly did. ;)

@James Gryphon  So just to confirm, are you going to take over for Peony, and if so does that mean I get an automatic win?

James Gryphon

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on October 23, 2016, 11:47:52 PM
@James Gryphon  So just to confirm, are you going to take over for Peony, and if so does that mean I get an automatic win?
On who takes Pny's place, quite possibly. I'd like to ask someone if they'd like to take her place in the tourney, but the most likely answer to that is no, and in that event I'll likely take over her immediate duels (although I'm thinking about asking a few prominent RPers if they'd like to do one duel here or there, in the stead of the people who dropped out; not as much work as a full-time tourney player, but enough to be a little involved).

As far as "wins", that's not how I imagined the scoring working. Your scores are independent of each other's play and the outcomes of the duels.

Finally, I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is something that'd bug me if it stuck around (and something I'd probably grade on), so I do want to emphasize the importance of Lask and Sagitar's relative ranks.

Quote from: Pearls of Lutra, chapters 2 and 3Lask Frildur the Monitor General stood before the Emperor, flat reptilian eyes unblinking, scales making a dry rustle as his heavy spiked tail swished lazily against the marble floor. Ublaz nodded approvingly. The Monitor General had never let him down; everybeast on Sampetra knew and feared the reputation of Lask Frildur.
"Does all go well with you, my strong right claw?" Ublaz said, as he poured wine for them both.
Sagitar Sawfang was bigger than most searats, lean and sinewy with a mean disposition. She was second only to Lask Frildur, the Monitor General.

Besides Lask's unrivaled power and reputation, I think Ublaz would especially appreciate him for his absolute loyalty, something which the corsairs and other wave vermin are much more loathe to give.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: James Gryphon on October 24, 2016, 03:19:15 AM

Finally, I hate to sound like a broken record, but this is something that'd bug me if it stuck around (and something I'd probably grade on), so I do want to emphasize the importance of Lask and Sagitar's relative ranks.

Ok, ok, if its that big of a deal I'll change it. It just made more sense at the time due to reasons. :-\ And then I didn't want to bother changing it because I was to lazy to fix the paragraph. :P

James Gryphon

One nitpicky detail: according to the intro, Ublaz didn't style himself as Mad Eyes; that's just what he was called out of earshot: "though none ever called him that to his face and lived".

There's also one minor typo, where it was "Bowfly" instead of "Blowfly".

That said, though, things look great so far!
« Subject to editing »