News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Doctor Strange Discussion!!

Started by Dannflor, November 03, 2016, 05:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflor

ITS NEARLY HERE!!! WHO IS EXITED AS I AM?? Did someone already make a topic on this???
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Edraithel

Have you read the comics? I haven't but I'm interested in the story. I like the look of Doctor Strange.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Dannflor

One or two!!! Apparently he's sme sort of Magician!! Did you know his cape is like alive??

Edraithel

It's alive??  :o I knew that it was a special artifact but not that it was alive.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Dannflor

Yeah its wierd!!! But I am really excited for the movie!! BTW I'm leaving to Virginia tomorrow!! Just to help with this middle school field trip or whatever!! But I will be gone until Saturday 10:30 EST!! So Cya all!!!

Kitsune

I've seen it twice, and I really like it. The Ancient One gets added to my fictional character role models list.

Spoiler
"Look at me, stretching one moment into a thousand just so I can watch the snow."

I love that scene. When I die, I hope to be that peaceful.
[close]

Ashleg

Someone at my school got to meet the cast of Dr.Strange.
She's older than me and I don't know her, but still it is pretty neat.

Eulaliaaa!

That's cool.

I saw it and was disappointed. There was just too much magic, and if I'm sitting in the theater and have to ask myself whether or not I'm ok with it, I think it's not good. It's a shame, too, since I really do love Marvel. Though I'm getting concerned with the direction it's going. With Doctor Strange and whatever it is that's been going on with Agents of SHIELD, Marvel's starting to take a dark turn... :-\

Guardians of the Galaxy looks really good, though ;D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Jetthebinturong

If you didn't know it was inevitable that Marvel would have magic in it, then you haven't seen or read much outside the MCU. All of the Marvel cartoons have had some level of magic in them, and the comics are steeped in the stuff. I mean, Death herself is a character and love of her is basically the main villain's entire motivation. Thanos is in love with Death and he thinks if he destroys the universe for her then she'll love him back. But Death loves Deadpool and never looks twice at Thanos.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Eulaliaaa!

Yeah yeah, I know. I've not read much of the comic books at all. I tend to stick to the movies. And they've always had a scientific explanation for that kind of stuff.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on November 26, 2016, 11:02:07 PM
I saw it and was disappointed. There was just too much magic, and if I'm sitting in the theater and have to ask myself whether or not I'm ok with it, I think it's not good. It's a shame, too, since I really do love Marvel. Though I'm getting concerned with the direction it's going. With Doctor Strange and whatever it is that's been going on with Agents of SHIELD, Marvel's starting to take a dark turn... :-\
From what I've read, he's just harnessing the energy of the multiverse, right?  It's not like he's messing with demons.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Basically no magic in fiction is messing with demons.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rusvul

Or, well, that's not entirely true. Only very rarely are demons portrayed in the Christian sense, and when they are, consorting with them is usually condemned within the work... D&D-style demons (giant army of not-really-religious evil creatures that want to destroy stuff) are more common, and sometimes there's characters that draw power from them- Warcraft's Warlocks are a prime example. Even then, usually it's portrayed as bargaining with, outwitting, and enslaving the forces of evil, rather than serving them. I've never seen anyone who directly works for demons portrayed as anything but the bad guy.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the vast majority of magic in fiction has nothing to do with demons, though. (Of course, you can still avoid it if you like - that's entirely your call.)