News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall's Sentient Fish

Started by Jarky Thistlebrush, August 25, 2019, 12:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarky Thistlebrush

I'm pretty sure the only sentient fish in Redwall was the Snakefish. Why? Any ideas?
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

LordTBT

Mossflower was book 2, and character traits were still being sorted out.

Verdauga

@Jarky Thistlebrush  I think it's because some of the animals are carnivorous. That, and Jacques never needed to delve into an aquatic storyline.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Jarky Thistlebrush

Quote from: Verdauga on August 25, 2019, 09:49:07 PM
@Jarky Thistlebrush  I think it's because some of the animals are carnivorous. That, and Jacques never needed to delve into an aquatic storyline.

??? Explain further, ole' chap.
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

Verdauga

@Jarky Thistlebrush I haven't checked, but I think badgers are carnivorous, at least. They might not eat fish, but foxes do, as do felines (like wildcats). But on the tack of the storyline, the only fish that could help out the Redwallers' cause was the snakefish. If most of the other fish could not do anything to help, there would be little reason to add characters and dialogue. That's at least my point of view.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Jarky Thistlebrush

The Skarzs

It may have just been a plot device for that book. And, frankly, I'm glad he was the only sentient fish. That would add some interesting layers of moral problems, since woodlanders eat fish.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Kade Rivok

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 01, 2019, 07:19:53 PM
It may have just been a plot device for that book. And, frankly, I'm glad he was the only sentient fish. That would add some interesting layers of moral problems, since woodlanders eat fish.
Yeah, I agree.  That's why vermin were the only ones that really ate eggs and birds as well (except in the beginning of course, the first few books were the wild west of Redwall).  Since it was a known fact that birds were sapient, of course woodlanders wouldn't eat them or their eggs, even if there seemed to be a distinction between sapient and non-sapient birds.  Mr. Jacques knew that it wasn't really appropriate in the context.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Kade Rivok on October 21, 2019, 09:56:59 PM
except in the beginning of course, the first few books were the wild west of Redwall
This is one of the best ways that I've ever heard to describe this.  :P
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!