News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Do you think BJ should have put humans in Redwall?

Started by Tiria Wildlough, July 01, 2011, 06:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

There's a serious difference between "stronger" and "strange" when it comes to their masters. It just sounds like wildcats defeated other beasts and conquered the ferals.

Anyway, very interesting. Actually, I remember that scene quite well, and the previous.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

DanielofRedwall

To those people who have mentioned the Redwall book, let's not forget that the Redwall book has heaps of elements that don't appear in other novels. The story line changes considerably in the books that followed. Redwall was different to the other books and Brian was still creating and growing the world in that book, so he added and took away plenty of different things from that novel. That's why it's hinted that there may of been humans in Redwall, but after that novel the books don't say anything about humans, in fact it seems that the books make it seem impossible that humans could exist in the Redwall world. Hope that made sense!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It was kinda random actually.

You sort of have a point. But humans being hinted at wasn't that drastic in Redwall I'd say
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Osu

Eh, I was going from memory before I went and dug the book out. I think it's still all rather ambiguous, myself~ ;) It wouldn't surprise me if humans were hinted at, but they'd never be mentioned.

Also: you guys post way fast, wow! XD
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Alessandro Reinares

I don't it is necessary because people are huge compared to small animals like a mouse.

Al

Tiria Wildlough

Having humans would be worse than having Asmodeus!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 06, 2011, 05:25:23 AM
Haha, yeah, that'd be interesting if there were humans as an enemy. The animals wouldn't stand a chance.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 06, 2011, 05:26:37 AM
Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 06, 2011, 05:25:23 AM
Haha, yeah, that'd be interesting if there were humans as an enemy. The animals wouldn't stand a chance.
...as someone said earlier, salamandastrom would be just a hill...redwall...would be tiny too.  basically its redwalls worst nightmare.

no humans.  dont put, don't make it happen and we're all good  ;D
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Log-a-Log

Quote from: AakashB on July 05, 2011, 02:52:45 AM
I also remember BJ mentioning humans in Redwall very subtly. Something like Cluny came from a place with strange creatures who farmed or something like that.

I also found this on BJ's website when someone asked him if there were ever any humans,

"No, there are no humans, my first book Redwall did mention the horse and cart but no humans are ever in the stories and I don't intend that they should ever be. The ships are generally crewed by vermin."
Can't argue with that
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Tiria Wildlough

Just think. They'd lay traps for the animals, shoot the hares, capture otters and badgers for their fur, and probably bulldoze Salamandastron. I was so scared that it would happen.
:( :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Osu

Quote from: CreggaRoseEyes on July 14, 2011, 11:48:10 AM
Just think. They'd lay traps for the animals, shoot the hares, capture otters and badgers for their fur, and probably bulldoze Salamandastron. I was so scared that it would happen.
:( :(
It could be that I don't normally get online this early, but when I read this I laughed. XD Bulldoze Salamandastron... ahaha! Can you picture it? Oh man... ;D ...that's terrible.

What if the humans were the same size as the animals? That'd even the odds up a bit, eh?

Storm

I can't imagine Redwall with humans. We would be horrible additions. It would have destroyed the series. Just a disgusting idea. 
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

James Gryphon

QuoteIt would have destroyed the series. Just a disgusting idea.

I don't think it would be disgusting, or that it would have destroyed the series, but it would undeniably change things quite a bit... the tone of the series would probably resemble more Watership Down in some ways than what it is now, and that's a pretty substantial difference.

QuoteWhat if the humans were the same size as the animals? That'd even the odds up a bit, eh?
It would, but I think that would eliminate the whole point of putting humans in the story in the first place.

In my mind, the only reason to have humans in Redwall is if they have a similar effect on the world that they do in real-life; not an enemy to be defeated, but an invulnerable obstacle to be survived and avoided. Other than that, there's no need to have them, because the characters we have are better-suited to the Redwall story than any human character.
« Subject to editing »

Osu

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. There's simply to point to adding humans to the picture.

Still. Bulldoze Salamandastron.... I will dream about this tonight, I just know it! XD

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Osu on July 15, 2011, 04:54:05 AM
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. There's simply to point to adding humans to the picture.

Still. Bulldoze Salamandastron.... I will dream about this tonight, I just know it! XD

Just make sure the bulldozer isnae working for the Death Defying Beavers, ok?

(Oh no, now they've entered this thread! We're doomed. :( )
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.