News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Wildcat Attack!

Started by Cornflower MM, January 16, 2014, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

The ottermaid gasped, at a loss for words. She'd never seen any scarring as terrible as Arya's. "H-how did that happen?" she asked, shock written all over her face.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

"You don't want to know." Arya said grimly, pulling her tunic back over her head. She sighed, and asked, "Do you really, really want to know?"

Jukka the Sling

Kaylan didn't want to know, yet somehow she did. She shrugged and nodded at the same time. "Um... maybe..."
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Arya blew out a breath, thinking. Is she DID tell Kaylan, she kind of worried about the impact that would have on the otter. On the other side of the leaf, though, she deserved to know. In the end, she smiled at the ottermaid, and said, "Perhaps I'll write it down for you. That would probably be better...Although, the last time I tried to tell it I ended up taking a bad trip down Memory Lane." She grimaced at the memory.

Jukka the Sling

"Don't tell me, then. I don't want to make you remember anything painful," Kaylan said quickly. She had begun to realize that although Arya appeared feisty and cheerful, she had a very painful past, and Kaylan didn't want to bring it up since it obviously hurt her friend to talk about it.

Cornflower MM

"No. I need to talk - Or write - about it some." Arya said firmly, the stiffly stood up, retrieved Martin's sword, and started to walk stiffly towards the Abbey.

Jukka the Sling

Kaylan stood uncertainly for a moment, then followed her friend.

Cornflower MM

Arya was muttering "Ow." At each step, but by now she was used to it.

Jukka the Sling

Kaylan, meanwhile, was wondering what exactly had triggered Arya's "episode", or if it was just random with no cause. She had once met an old otter who had gone through a horrific experience and had flashbacks in which he got incredibly violent, but generally his fits were triggered by somebeast mentioning vermin. Not always, but usually. So now she wondered if she had perhaps inadvertently said something that caused the squirrelmaid's fit. "Arya?" she asked, walking a bit faster to catch up, "was your, um, episode back there triggered by something I said or did?"

Cornflower MM

Arya jumped. "Wha-? Oh, no! No, it wasn';t....At least, I don't think so." The squirrelmaid shrugged. "They're a mystery to me. They come randomly, with no warning. I was unprepared for it this time. Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, I owe you an apology. I nearly hit you; I'm sorry. "

Jukka the Sling

"Oh, that's alright," Kaylan answered, rather relieved that she hadn't caused Arya's episode. "You weren't yourself at all right then. It wasn't your fault."

Cornflower MM

"Reflexes kicked in at the moment." Arya explained, still not quite comfortable.

Jukka the Sling

"Like I said, it wasn't your fault," Kaylan said, giving Arya a smile to show she really wasn't concerned about it.

Cornflower MM

"Okay, if you say so." Arya murmured as she opened the Abbey door.

Jukka the Sling

Kaylan followed her friend into Great Hall. "So, now what?" she asked, unsure if when Arya said she wanted to talk or write about her past she meant right now or some other time. She thought it was probably the former, but wasn't certain. The ottermaid also wondered if perhaps she shouldn't have followed Arya; maybe the squirrelmaid wanted to be alone right now.