Florian

Started by LordTBT, March 24, 2021, 02:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordTBT

Today's discussion topic: At the end of Marlfox, it is revealed that the story is actually a drama written by Florian Dugglewoof Wilffachop, who will be adapting it into a play. Questions:

-Does this mean that The Long Patrol (it's prequel) and Taggerung and Triss (its sequels) ARE ALSO DRAMAS that were written/adapted into plays by Florian?

-Did Florian portray himself in the play?

-Was the character of Florian invented by Florian so he could in fact just act as himself?

-Do we trust Florian enough to have written an accurate representation OF HIMSELF?

-Since Florian "wrote" the narrative, AND he is a character in it (and likely the play), does that mean that the Florian character is actually a male Mary Sue ("Gary Stu") of Florian?

Flib Bigboat

He's not a Mary Sue. Remember the Florian Forkbottom part?
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

LordTBT

Quote from: Flib Bigboat on March 24, 2021, 05:57:44 PM
He's not a Mary Sue. Remember the Florian Forkbottom part?

Indeed, but the definition of Mary Sue can vary, and there is no consensus on it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
In other words, the term "Mary Sue" is generally slapped on a character who is important in the story, possesses unusual physical traits, and has an irrelevantly over-skilled or over-idealized nature.

<---that could apply to Florian.

Flib Bigboat

That was just a thought.
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

I think that it was all true and it didn't have any changes. I think the bit at the end was just for fun.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me