Chess: Mods vs. Members Discussion Topic

Started by Matthias720, August 31, 2011, 04:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

On the suggestion of James, I am proud to present the latest Mods vs. Members game: chess.

Now before you say anything, this is still in the planning phase, and we have many details to work out. However, we want to include you, the members, in the planning process.

We need to decide:
-Who's going to play
-Which team goes first
-What form of notation to use
-Any special rules we might want to consider (seeing as how more than one person will play each color)

Thoughts and comments?

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

James Gryphon

As far as which team goes first, I think it might be a good idea to let the members go first... since the mods should be used to working as an organized team, and may be on average older and more experienced than the members, it seems good to give the member team a slight edge, to balance the game out.

As far as notation, I think the clearest and possibly simplest system to use would be long algebraic notation, which I favor.

As far as the rules, it seems we could create three topics; one for the game, one for the members, and one for the moderators. The first topic would have the final moves, the other two would be the topics where the two teams discuss their moves, with the provision that the teams shouldn't look at each other's topics. To permit policing, one moderator might be left out of the game, so that they can fairly examine the member topic and make sure that nothing violates forum rules.

For deciding which move to play, I guess whichever move gets a 2/3 majority of its team can be played in the main topic.
« Subject to editing »

Log-a-Log

I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Lily

I can't play chess, so I'll volunteer to keep an eye on things. Maybe I'll finally learn something about chess!

Matthias720

Very thorough, as usual, James. This is kind of what I imagined as well. However, I want to hear what the members have to say about they way they may want to run things, before we make an concrete decisions. :)

gorath

I'll do it, though I don't quite understand ???
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

It's been quite a while, but I'd still love to see if this can work out. The ongoing problem, of course, is member interest -- most of the mods are on pretty regular, but it seems that some members come and go, and we don't want it to turn into one member taking on all the mods. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Matthias720

Quite.

I'm up for it, but I'm not sure how many members would want to play. :-/

Redwall Musician

I would be willing to play as a member if it means we can do this.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Romsca

Should this topic be locked? I mean, nobody has posted in here for a while

rachel25

I'm on quit alot but i don't know how to play chess  :-[ if their's anything else I can do i'll help  ;D I LOVE THE FORUM REDWAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!