News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Standing up

Started by Cinderpelt, May 10, 2018, 03:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinderpelt

Why do some animals stand on two legs and others on four? What is the criteria for an animal to be able to stand on two feet?
~CL~

The Skarzs

Can you give some examples of those walking on four feet? I think the only ones I remember were frogs and other reptiles.

I personally don't like to imagine them being on four feet if they talk and act "human". If they lack intellect, then I find it is better for them to be on four feet.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Gloomer and the ermine "dirgecallers" seemed to be on four feet.

The Skarzs

True, but they were also much more savage, primitive.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Yeah, I wasn't trying to dispute you, I was giving Cinderpelt more examples.

Cinderpelt

True, but what is there was a smart and civilized frog? Would he then walk on two feet or is it based on species?
~CL~

SoranMBane

Well, as far as the toads go, I don't really remember it ever being specified whether they primarily stand on their hind legs or all fours (though I would have to reread one of the books where they show up to be sure). There is at least a clue in the fact that they wield tridents; even if they mostly hop around on all fours, they would at least need to be able to stand on their hind legs for short periods of time in order to use their weapons.

Otherwise, yeah, it seems to depend on how sane and intelligent a creature is. The Gloomer and the Dirgecallers seem to have reverted to walking on all fours because they'd utterly lost their minds and senses of self. I'm pretty sure I also recall cases of perfectly intelligent creatures dropping down on all fours temporarily, either to land more softly after a fall or for tracking. So I get the impression that pretty much every creature in the Redwall world could walk solely on all fours if they wanted to, but they choose not to because they're too civilized for that.

Wylder Treejumper

There is a bit of early installment weirdness in Redwall, mostly with Constance the badger trundling around on all fours (and pulling the cart via the cartshaft in her mouth), but otherwise it seems only the most savage creatures go about on all fours. Even most (but not all) of the lizards seem to walk upright, as they carry and throw reed lances.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Nadaz, voice of the host

On the cover of Mattimeo Slager (chickenhound) is standing on all fours but in the book itself they never mention it as far as I am aware of.

It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Jetthebinturong

On the original UK cover, and most others besides the US version, he's on 2 legs.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

MeadowR

That Mattimeo cover has always bothered me for that (odd) decision to have him on all fours.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

And the weasel on two.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Nadaz, voice of the host

The weasel might normally walk on all fours but he seems to be propping himself up on his spear.
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Ashleg

That cover always annoyed me, too.
I much prefer the purple one. [The version I own.] I unfortunately cannot find a crisper picture of this, but Slagar is upright and Matthias is reaaaaally cool on it. The mice on the bridge are also upright, just slouched.

The Skarzs

My version of that got destroyed, unfortunately. I do have the Redwall and Mossflower ones in that cover style, though.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.