Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Discussion

Started by Matthias720, July 07, 2011, 04:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

PrimroseWarrior

"Every fairytale needs a good old-fashioned villain. You need me, or you're nothing."
    ~Moriarty

"People have died."
"Thats what people DO!"

"Did u miss me?"
      ~Moriarty & Sherlock

Lutra

Quote from: PrimroseWarrior on October 20, 2012, 03:43:24 AM
I like the castaways better than redwall.

I agree with this simply because Castaways didn't get into the predictable formula that Redwall did.  Ben and Ned could basically traverse the world at different times, so there were always different plot lines to take.  That made them far more interesting. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

WildDoogyPlumm

Finished reading Voyage of Slaves yesterday.  I really liked the whole trilogy, but I'm not going to compare it to Redwall, because they are totally different books. 
I wonder if Brian meant to write another Castaways book and never got around to it, or meant for VOS to be the last one.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Captain Tammo

I think he wanted to keep it a trilogy, why I'm not sure..
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lutra

You would the think the ending of VOS was meant to the end entirely.  However, I think if he did write another book after that, you'd get a lot of references to the past and maybe Ben longing for the past. ;)  Not really interested in reading a teenage melodrama.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Castaway5

I feel as if this series never really ends, which is why I like it so much. I'm sure that Brian meant to write another one, or already had a manuscript done, but never got around to it.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Castaway5 on January 24, 2013, 04:49:09 PM
I feel as if this series never really ends, which is why I like it so much. I'm sure that Brian meant to write another one, or already had a manuscript done, but never got around to it.

That's an interesting idea. But do you think his family would've released it?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

KitrallStreamrippler

I just finished Voyage of Slaves also. It was really good! However,
Spoiler
Serafina's death was really sad, especially because Ben was about to tell her the truth. She would have believed him, I know it! :'(
[close]
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Lutra

Hence, that too can be seen as the angel's curse on Ben and Ned. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

I havn't read them yet, but I hear that they're awsome!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Lutra

I think you'll find it worth reading. :)  The books can all be bought cheap from Amazon's marketplace if your library does not carry the three books.  $4 each with shipping if you buy a used copy going for a penny.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_17?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=castaways+of+the+flying+dutchman&sprefix=castaways+of+the+%2Caps%2C276
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

mariezeller

:(Often when an author dies, someone attempts to finish the series. Jacques death has consigned the hero and his dog to an eternity of wandering. Had he lived I think Jacques would have done better by them thru some means-maybe even a "judgement day" that would free them to age and die. Any hope of another book?????

Romsca

Shadowed One

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 10, 2011, 03:13:08 AM
I didn't like the first book especially, but the last two blew me off my feet and into shark infested waters (reference to Voyage of the Slaves).    I found Voyage of the Slaves to have a sadder ending than the other two.  i mean, poor Ben.

I WISH BJ TOLD US OR MANAGED TO TELL US WHAT HAPPENED TO BEN AND NED IN THE END!!!!!!

Me too. My favorite was Angel 's Command.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc