News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Lands of Ice and Snow

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, July 11, 2011, 11:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grond

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on March 25, 2019, 08:55:00 PM
I wonder who controlled the Land of Snow and Ice, the wolves or wolverines?

It is possible that both species where fairly rare, like badgers are in the rest of the series. You never see an army of badgers like you do the other species. They are either solitary, in a pair or family, or leaders (i.e. Badger Lord) over other species. Possibly the same applies to wolves and wolverines in the Land of Ice and Snow. I assume whoever raised the bigger and more powerful army would be in control...

Tungro

It would be interesting if there was a book about a wolf warlord and a wolverine warlord fighting for control of the Lands of Ice and Snow. Possibly a fanfic?

Sebias of Redwall

I might consider it... We'll have to see though.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 14, 2011, 07:44:24 AM
Not if it's a honey badger... Seriously, check them out on youtube, they are ferocious, they'd smash a wolverine in a fight if it was real life!

I beg to differ! Honey badgers are insane and awesome animals, being able to scare away lions and resist poison from mambas. But, Wolverines hunt down elk. ELK. Have you seen how big an elk is and then look at a wolverine? I's ridiculous! Not to mention people once found the body of a polar bear (which is the largest bear in the world) that was killed by a wolverine! It would be close, but IMO Wolverine would win.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sanddunes

Quote from: clunylooney on April 17, 2020, 07:29:50 PM
Not if it's a honey badger... Seriously, check them out on youtube, they are ferocious, they'd smash a wolverine in a fight if it was real life!

I beg to differ! Honey badgers are insane and awesome animals, being able to scare away lions and resist poison from mambas. But, Wolverines hunt down elk. ELK. Have you seen how big an elk is and then look at a wolverine? I's ridiculous! Not to mention people once found the body of a polar bear (which is the largest bear in the world) that was killed by a wolverine! It would be close, but IMO Wolverine would win.

To bad there's not many wolverines in the Redwall series

clunylooney

Quote from: Sanddunes on April 17, 2020, 08:09:16 PM

To bad there's not many wolverines in the Redwall series
JFTR the badgers in the Redwall series are European badgers. Not Honey badgers. If a Wolverine fought a European Badger than the Wolverine would have an even larger chance of winning. Wolverine vs American badger would be interesting. WOlverine would probably win though. Wolverines are just crazy.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Grond

Wolverines are certainly extremly powerful and vicious for their size, as are most mustelids. However, there are major problems or important background information with the stories of wolverines killing animals the size of elk and bears. I would assume the elk a wolverine may have killed was likely one that was exhausted and near death beforehand. In the winter time and espeially in deep snow large ungulates like elk really struggle. Due to how small their feet are relative to their body-they sink into the snow- which makes it exhausting for them to walk around. Plus it is difficult to forage and browse under deep snow so they are malnourished as well. Given the size of a wolverine's feet relative to its body, they are pretty much on snow shoes, and can walk on top of the snow. Which gives them a huge advantage and winter time is the best time of year for them as there is plenty of carrion around to feast on and they can get around on the snow easily. I would suspect that elk in question was likely  on death's doorstep as a winter kill, before the wolverine finished it off.

Sanddunes

Quote from: Grond on April 27, 2020, 10:23:52 PM

Wolverines are certainly extremly powerful and vicious for their size, as are most mustelids. However, there are major problems or important background information with the stories of wolverines killing animals the size of elk and bears. I would assume the elk a wolverine may have killed was likely one that was exhausted and near death beforehand. In the winter time and espeially in deep snow large ungulates like elk really struggle. Due to how small their feet are relative to their body-they sink into the snow- which makes it exhausting for them to walk around. Plus it is difficult to forage and browse under deep snow so they are malnourished as well. Given the size of a wolverine's feet relative to its body, they are pretty much on snow shoes, and can walk on top of the snow. Which gives them a huge advantage and winter time is the best time of year for them as there is plenty of carrion around to feast on and they can get around on the snow easily. I would suspect that elk in question was likely  on death's doorstep as a winter kill, before the wolverine finished it off.
Don't know about bears or elks but they'll go after reindeer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SOjmJG73UI