Netflix has the Redwall rights

Started by LordTBT, February 10, 2021, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

It's so rare that we get NEW Redwall news, and this is the best type possible. I've been waiting for this for over half my life and I cannot wait to see it become real. I hope everyone is ready to share this journey with me.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Verdauga

I have doubts, but I hope this will be a good adaptation. And besides, nothing says it can't be. At the very least, more people will be introduced to the series!
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Captain Wortshire

All I'm asking for is this...

STAY CLOSE TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!

(who thinks it will be done in realistic cg?)
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]

Verdauga

At leat one of the writers has worked in on a cartoon, so it could go one way or the other.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Scott McLamok

Agreed! I really hope it's good because I've wanted one of these for so long! I personally think it won't be that great but I'll love it for what it is...
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Sailears

Oh wow, I just saw this! :o

I hope Netflix give this proper attention along the lines of some of their other big shows.

I also hope they don't stray too far adapting the material (ie Witcher), and give it a generous budget.

Quote from: Captain Wortshire on February 10, 2021, 05:35:05 PM
All I'm asking for is this...

STAY CLOSE TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!

(who thinks it will be done in realistic cg?)

Hope they do make the most of modern tech. It's a tough one for style because everyone's got different visual style in mind, but I'd want to see some kind of "realistic" with various modifications for animal posture, clothing, holding weapons etc.
My ears, how are you, wot!

MeadowR

Exciting!! I am pleased the series is finally getting some more attention (well, the recent game helped). Now please don't dumb it down. :D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Mara the Wolf

Darn it, I'd been recently hoping that someday in the future I could turn all 22 Redwall novels into movies, then do the same for The Urthblood Cycle. Netflix has beaten to me punch, at least on the first half. Just like Disney (sorta) beat me to punch of a live-action Lion King.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

JINGS! Ach, Ah really dae 'ope zey make zure tae carry ziz oot good und create a major zeriez tae live up tae ze Redwall name! Ve dinnae 'ave Netflix, but may'apz if tiz major enough it moight come oot on video. Fingerz crozzed!
Disney juzt needz tae keep it'z filthy pavz off o' it!!!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

saugysaugysaugy

Waking up to this news today was pretty surreal, but the crowning moment has been the overwhelmingly positive response to this news. The amount of old fans of the series that are coming out of the woodwork warms the heart. Personally speaking for myelf and people within my circle who have come back to reading the series this year, I hope that it finally gets the universal limelight it deserves.

A cinematic adaptation of the first book, followed by a series based on Martin the Warrior's cycle is imo the best way to introduce a wider crowd to the material, and then the producers can go from there.

Personally I hope they stay away from realistic CG and take a more creative path with some stylistic traditional animation. There's been a major resurgence this past decade in bringing back trad. styled animation, The Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea, and Wolfwalkers to name a few. There's a warmth and magic to traditional animation that I think would benefit Redwall far more than the CG route that Netflix has taken with much of its original programming. But I suppose time will tell??

The Skarzs

Spoiler
[close]
But seriously, this is some awesome news. Really made my day and I'm super exited to see this come out. Can't wait!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mara the Wolf

@The Skarzs, please don't put horrid pictures like that up again! What am I even looking at?! I may have to start up my own courthouse and put you on trial for that!
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

Jukka the Sling

I'm so excited for this!  It sounds like it's finally gonna happen and not just fall through like the other time we thought we were getting a movie.  Cannot WAIT.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

saugysaugysaugy

Also fell for the rumour mill so many times as a child, to see it actually happening this time around is crazy. This simple announcement has gotten so much traction and trended today, I think if it truly turns out to be something great, will make terrific exposure for the series as a whole.

I only wish Brian was here to see this...