News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Writing In Accents: A Mistake?

Started by WoodenSpoon, February 05, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenSpoon

As a writer, I often wonder how to write certain accent. When I do my research, it seems that the current popular opinion is that one shouldn't write accents, because it might alienate the readers.

Brian Jacques clearly didn't follow this rule. I want to discuss whether or not this was a good idea on his part. I can't imagine the Redwall books without the dialects, and I can understand them quite well. However, when I think back, I didn't understand a word of molespeech when my father was first reading the books to me, and I know some people prefer to skip the molespeech altogether, making Redwall newbie-unfriendly if you will. 

What are your thoughts on this?

Leatho Shellhound

I love the accents, I can understand every word.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Romsca

It took me to the very very end of the first book I read, The Legend of Luke, to even understand Molespeech in the very littlest bit. Writing in accents can be good if it's only slight and you can still understand it, but I think Molespeech might have been a mistake

Mattio

I can understand all of it I figured out molespeech pretty quickly

DanielofRedwall

I think the accents just add the depth and culture of the world Jacques created. I can't imagine Redwall without the accents, and don't really want to. I didn't really find molespeech hard to pick up personally, but for those who do often other characters translate for them, or the reply is enough to figure out what the general idea of the statement or question was, so I don't really think it was a mistake.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Redwaller

I, personally, never struggled with any accents. Even the Scottish accent was easy. So I think it was a bonus.

Skipper

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on February 05, 2013, 08:09:48 AM
I think the accents just add the depth and culture of the world Jacques created. I can't imagine Redwall without the accents, and don't really want to. I didn't really find molespeech hard to pick up personally, but for those who do often other characters translate for them, or the reply is enough to figure out what the general idea of the statement or question was, so I don't really think it was a mistake.
Totally agree.

Tam and Martin

It sometimes tkes awhile to understand the different dialects but you understand them eventually. Now, I cn do Highland Accent, Molespeech, and Flinky's type of talking like the "Ah sure the grand ould beast is comin'"

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Romsca

I love Flinky's accent!  :D
I could be wrong, but I believe it's also Killconey's and an owl from Pearls of Lutra's accent

Tam and Martin

It is. Ah sure The Grand Ould Romsca is right sure enuff

Romsca

I don't know what kind of accent Romsca has, but it annoys me even though she's a cool character

Tam and Martin

Redwaller

Quote from: Romsca on February 05, 2013, 06:25:03 PM
I love Flinky's accent!  :D
I could be wrong, but I believe it's also Killconey's and an owl from Pearls of Lutra's accent
Yoofus Lightpaw also had this accent.