Commentary on the Book Loamhedge

Started by Wylder Treejumper, September 17, 2016, 07:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mara the Wolf

I'm not sure if I ever read this book. Part of me says that the last Redwall book I ever read was Triss, but immediately another part says, "I know I read a book that Loamhedge in it...besides Mattimeo." And, even if I haven't read it, I've heard about Bragoon, Sarobando, & Martha Braebuck, and I got opinions on 'em:

Bragoon and Sarobando: Rrrgh, I hate these two so much! At some point, BJ just felt we need to hate the vermin and worship the woodlanders simply for that their species, when in Mossflower, Martin, Gonff, Dinny, & Log-a-Log show sympathy for a dead searat and give him a burial, and there's always been those vermin who aren't completely bad, they're just trying to get by! But nope, we have HATE the vermin and believe they deserve every misfortune they suffer and feel the heroes were in the right to do so, and Bragoon & Sarobando empathize that perfectly. Their introduction shows them walking into a bandit camp to harass the vermin, steal their fish, & inadvertently cause a scuffle that gets the leader kill, which they don't give one whit about! And what had these vermin done to deservethat? Up until the that point, the most verminous thing we've seen 'em do is fry fish. What happened to characters like Mortimer, Saxtus, & Brome, who couldn't stand the thought of killing, not even their enemies, and wished for peaceful solutions. But Bragoon & Saro ain't done, no, not by a long shot. On their way to Loamhedge, they travel through a desert, where they a dormouse named Toobledum, and some jerbilrats. When they meet a jerbilrat, they beat him up, steal his supplies when he lives in a desert, force him to be their prisoner, and don't give a rat's behind when a hawk carries him off! And their defense? His species name contains the word "rat". Likewise, Toobledum is a glutton, and claims he has "little of his own", and Saro decides to give him "all they can spare". But when it turns out he's been lying and he has a whole cellar full of supplies? The two jump to his defense, claiming that the desert's harsh and Toobledum's looking out for himself, but the young ones are naive for believing his lies! Seriously?!

Martha Braebuck: The message that you can overcome a disability, even one you've had from birth, if you simply a grow a pair...BJ, what were thinking when you wrote this?
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

WorshipTiria

I got really confused by Martha and it just seemed like the quest and Bragoon and Sarobando's deaths were pointless. I did find the history of Loamhedge abbey intersting though.
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE