Martin I and Matthias, what's their relationship?

Started by sabretache5611, July 08, 2011, 06:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

QuoteAnyways in the book, Redwall it says Martin lives on through Matthias. At least that is what I read yesterday.
I think that was meant to say he lived on in a symbolic sense, not literally. Since Matthias is carrying on Martin's work and legacy, doing what Martin would do if he was around, you could say that the spirit of Martin lives on through and due to Matthias' efforts.

There may be some physical similarity, but they're mice; to humans most mice look exactly alike anyway, so it seems the odds of a mouse resembling another are actually relatively high. ;)

Although it's said that there is no specific religion in Redwall, all this talk about Martin actually makes me wonder a little; after all, in the books, he's portrayed as being capable of supernaturally appearing to good creatures whenever they need help, in visions or in dreams, and he can give them advice, and accurately predict future events... I'd say that's enough to technically qualify as a religious element, even if Brian Jacques wasn't thinking of it in that way.
« Subject to editing »

sabretache5611

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 16, 2011, 12:09:02 AM
QuoteAnyways in the book, Redwall it says Martin lives on through Matthias. At least that is what I read yesterday.
I think that was meant to say he lived on in a symbolic sense, not literally. Since Matthias is carrying on Martin's work and legacy, doing what Martin would do if he was around, you could say that the spirit of Martin lives on through and due to Matthias' efforts.

There may be some physical similarity, but they're mice; to humans most mice look exactly alike anyway, so it seems the odds of a mouse resembling another are actually relatively high. ;)

Although it's said that there is no specific religion in Redwall, all this talk about Martin actually makes me wonder a little; after all, in the books, he's portrayed as being capable of supernaturally appearing to good creatures whenever they need help, in visions or in dreams, and he can give them advice, and accurately predict future events... I'd say that's enough to technically qualify as a religious element, even if Brian Jacques wasn't thinking of it in that way.
point taken.  besides, the dark forest also sounds a lot like an afterlife, still a part of religion though BJ said he was avoiding religion
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

rakkety tam

i think matthias is like great great great great grandson of martin
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

James Gryphon

I'm not sure that's possible -- Rose was the only girl in Martin's eyes, and after she died, it's said that he never married.
« Subject to editing »

ilovemariel

Old stories told by travellers, Great songs that bards have sung, Of Mossflower summers, faded, gone, When Redwall's stones were young. Great Hall fires on winter nights,
The legends, who remembers,Battles, banquets, comrades, quests,Recalled midst glowing embers.Draw close now, little woodlander

Romsca

Are you talking about Martin the Warrior, or Martin, Luke's dad who was briefly mentioned in Legend of Luke?