Nomadic Hedgehogs

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, May 08, 2014, 02:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

Is it just me, or are hedgehogs only good for drinks and wandering.
I mean, in a bunch of the books, they meet a group or tribe of nomadic hedgehogs! Plus, at Redwall,  they are only babes, or cellar 'ogs (except for abbot Hunmble)
I love hedgehogs, its just they only have 2 main parts. Also, the nomadic ones get SOOO annoying!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Tam and Martin

I've noticed that too.

I will post a longer reply later when the CP isn't as slow  ::)

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Blazemane

For what it's worth, there is a hedgehog named Tansy who plays a very big role in both The Pearls of Lutra and The Long Patrol. I don't want to spoil what she does in those books, though, since I don't know if you've read them yet or not. There's also Pallum from Martin the Warrior, and Ben and Goody Stickle from Mossflower (but yeah, they do have four children with somewhat important parts in the book, and two of them--Ferdy and Cogs--do end up as cellarhogs like you're saying). Then there's the Stump family from Mattimeo and the Lingl family from The Outcast of Redwall, but I don't know what category you'd want to put those families in since they live in the wilderness outside of Redwall, but stay in the same spots rather than wandering around. I think there's also a tribe of hedgehogs who may or may not have been nomadic beforehand but came to live with Luke the warrior's tribe on the Northern shores.

And... speaking of the Stumps, Redwall wiki points me to another hedgehog from The Pearls of Lutra: Friar Higgle Stump. The last I can conjure up for the moment are Orkwil Prink from Eulalia and Umfry Spikkle from Doomwyte (but even Umfry's grandfather--yup, cellarhog).

At any rate, I would say there definitely are more hedgehogs which fit into the categories you've described than hedgehogs which don't. And the nomads kindof annoy me, too. I actually even get pretty annoyed with the Guosim; somehow they tend to feel like intrusions on the plot to me. Which is a terrible way for me to think of them, since they're in almost every book, and I think Brian Jacques liked writing for them. But... yeah, there's something unsettling to me about running into a new tribe of characters in the middle of a story who don't quite seem to operate the same way as the main characters I've been reading about before. I don't know.

Gonff the Mousethief

Opps! Forgot 'bout tansy! Ya, the shrerws  Lord Brocktreewere soooo annoying!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 08, 2014, 03:39:01 AM
Opps! Forgot 'bout tansy! Ya, the shrerws  Lord Brocktreewere soooo annoying!
I like them
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.