News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

RP section concern.

Started by Trigoma, January 26, 2012, 11:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigoma

I have a concern about the RP section. Since my short leave of a month or two, i return too see the Role Playing section in chaos. With several RPs being made in a week, it has turned clutterd and disorganized. My favorite section is still the RP section, but i rarely go there now because of the many RPs and strange plots (monkeys? wow...). My suggestions to end this "chaos" are as follows

1. Limit the amount of RPs allowed at a time. When one RP ends, let someone else make a new one.

2. Review the plots. Have the members who have plot ideas send there idea to get approved. Yes this sort of limits the freedom of the site, but it will pay off in the end i believe.

3. Mods are rarely present if ever in this section (correct me if i am wrong) with all these unlocked dead RPs floating around. I would request more mod presence there, but i know RL counts more then just an RP section.

This is my concern, and i hope it is acted upon.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Lutra

Letsee here.....

1.) Limiting RPs isn't the answer.  I don't think that will solve anything.  Usually the better ones stay on the top and the other ones fall into the abyss (page 2 and beyond).

2.) Again, Darwin's theory--the better RPs will be posted in.  What I consider a good RP is lousy to others.  There is no good way to single out good rps versus a not-so-good one...the members will decide based on which ones they respond to.

3.) I know I don't go in there at all--RPs are not something I do because very few can tolerate the way I think RPs should be run. ;)  I can't speak for other staff members on how often they walk in there.  I know I have brought up the issue of moderation of that section to other staff in the past, so it isn't ignored, just we are not positive how to proceed with that right now.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, roleplaying is kind of messy on here. I have to agree with Lutra. There is no way mods can keep track of how many RPs there are. I mean, they could, but it will get hard.
Also, if you want the Roleplaying to get better, do your part. Be sensible, give tips, and be nice. :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

In case you haven't noticed the RP making pretty much stopped. Everyone just wanted at least 1 RP to join, there hasn't been a new RP made IN A WEEK, And limiting RP's is NOT the answer.

(I very much agree with you on the monkey thing though, Sheesh!)

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

BrookSkimmer

Well, we just compled an awesome role playing contest. Very controlled and very fun!  ;D

I must say when I fisrt starting RPing in the RP forum, things seemed a little crazy. However, if you sign on for a few days and get the feel for it, things do not seem disorganized at all.

I do my best to keep things looking good in the RP section, but it can get tricky. I will say, I feel the quality of role playing has improved over the past month or so.

As for non-canon role playing (i.e. non Redwall species) there is not rule against it, and I think it can be quite fun. I've been role playing for (well, more years than I want to admit) and it gets a little boring playing the same set of species all the time. There's nothing wrong with branching out.

I think, if you pick role plays that you feel comfortable with, and are willing to post in the style of that particular RP you should have fun. You can also make a role play that fits your particular taste.

If there is anything in particular you would like help with in the role play section, feel free to PM me anytime! My hope is for people to have a great time in our RP section!

Dannflower Reguba

About the Non-canon, monkies ARE a bit far fetched, wolves, maybe smaller species of dogs, different species of lizard, those are ALL good ideas for branching... But really, you have to be Moderate MONKIES! that completely upsets the size balance! Monkies are HUGE compared to woodland creatures, (albiet so are badgers and Wildcats, but not nearly as bad as monkies)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

BrookSkimmer

You can think whatever you want about the species thing but you should respect other people's thoughts and opinions on it as well.

Please do not respond with any more talk about species stuff. It is becoming off the original topic. If I realized it was going to digress into this I would not have brought it up at all.

I merely stated the things I did to assure people that there is moderator presence in the RP.

Trigoma

I appreciate all of these views and different ideas, but as Brook stated, please stay on topic. This thread is to center on the idea of all RPing, and not just species.

I do once again bring this to the moderators attention that the RP section is disorganized. There have been planning threads showing up in Cavern-Hole and other irrelevant boards.

One more thing. Threads past the third page and still open in the RP board should be closed and moved. Several sub-boards should be made to receive these inactive threads. Several ideas to be thought upon. Please consider them instead of throwing them out.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Lutra

We don't throw out ideas; we discuss them and determine whether to act on them or not.  Your concern has been brought up before about subforums.  We haven't fully decided what to do about it yet.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Trigoma

I have noticed that the RP section has been reorganized. Thank you for considering this idea thoroughly! This thread may now be closed ;D

~Trig~
—Happy Mask Salesman

BrookSkimmer

We were discussing some of the actions taken in the RP section before this thread was originally made. However, thank you for your concern and hope you enjoy the new and improved RP section!  ;D