News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Grond on October 10, 2017, 05:04:55 AM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on October 07, 2017, 03:26:01 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on October 07, 2017, 02:47:15 AM
Heh. You found one.
Unfortunately. But at BYU, of all places, you would think it would be anathema! I suppose not everyone can be orthodox, but this seems like the wrong way from orthodoxy to head out. At least liberal Mormons have some theological foundation on which to base their views.

Wylder,
I am not sure if this belongs here or in the Mormon thread, ill reply to your post there shortly I just haven't had the time these past few days. Until the 70s black men weren't allowed in the Mormon priesthood, and were even been labelled y some as the children/offspring of Cain. So if this existed in the past, I assume there must be some theological/ideological basis for this point of view/interpretation (however weak). Brigham Young himself wasn't exactly particularly "tolerant" of non whites or black people...
@Grond: For now, I'll leave it with "God works with the materials he has." There is already a somewhat more comprehensive answer on the thread, and I can give a more detailed one if necessary. A simple Book of Mormon verse ought to show how off any interpretation like that is: "For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile." (2 Nephi 26:33, emphasis mine)

In any case, you are (reasonably) confuting fascism with "white nationalism." While I am certain he supports institutionalized racism, we never actually argued over that, only over the form, purpose, and powers of government. Which, unfortunately, are harder to argue on theological grounds. Not that it would matter, as he seems devoid of any ethical principles whatsoever.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

Also, the church has recently made statements openly and unapologetically condemning racism and white supremacists.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

a crumb

cannot overstate how much my opinion of the mormon church catapulted upwards last year. learned a lot about their view of affairs.

also, i think my pens are going missing. not too fast its obvious, though. which either means its pure coincidence, or the pens are a lot smart than i was led to believe.

Maudie

*Gasp.* The same thing is happening with my pencils!
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

a crumb

great. now all the writing utensils are rebelling.

Ashleg

Yo mama so fat she ate all the writing utensils.

The Skarzs

Yo mama's a beaver, apparently.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Russa Nodrey

Freddy

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

The Skarzs

Good. Communication is better through speech.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Delthion

Three days ago I walked into a movie/game rental place and saw the most evil thing that I have ever seen in my short existence: Tom Brady on the Madden 18 cover. *Shudder.*
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.