News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Singers' voice preference

Started by The Skarzs, July 14, 2019, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Female
9 (52.9%)
Male
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

The Skarzs

This is something I just something I have been thinking about for a while. I have found, at least for myself, that I prefer female vocal singers to male singers. Now, there are a lot of male singers that I like, but overall I have found myself to be more attracted to and listening to more songs sung by female artists and vocalists. Both my sisters and my mother seem to prefer female singers. It's my theory that males overall may like female voices for singing better than male.
But I wanted to see if this rings true with other members. This is just for fun, and my own curiosity, not for some scientific research or trying to prove a fact. I may be completely wrong, so. . . Prove me wrong. XD
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rosie Willowwater

This might just be because all the people I know who are incredible singers are women, but I find myself gravitating towards songs sung by women. Their voices are usually softer and match the genre of music I listen to often.

Tungro

So I listen to all kinds of music and while I do like some male signers, I noticed that I do tend to listen to female signers more.

Cornflower MM

My favorite genre is rock - One that is pretty much dominated by male vocalists. :P There's a few good female-fronted bands in the genres I listen to (Hayley Williams from Paramore, Ash Costello from New Year's Day, Halsey), but there simply isn't as many. So I would say male voices. I also prefer deeper, raspier sounding voices (female or male.) I think that what genres and styles you like to listen to probably have a big hand in this as well, but it's definitely an interesting theory.

Jetthebinturong

My favourite artists are all male, but I don't think I really have a preference for voices because I've heard some incredible female vocalists.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on July 14, 2019, 08:52:47 PM
My favourite artists are all male, but I don't think I really have a preference for voices because I've heard some incredible female vocalists.

Yessssss this exactly. Thank you for saying what I meant and didn't say correctly.

Delthion

Depends VERY much on the singer and the genre. I mostly listen to male vocals though.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Matthias720

No preference. I tend to decide on the singer's merits on a per-song basis. I have heard incredible performances from both male and female vocalists, so it's unfair to pick one over the other.

Jack the Quick

I mostly listen to male artists, but I don't really have a preference.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Kitsune

I find myself enjoying female voices more. Male voices are more boring to listen to because they often are way less stylized and overall just flat. I'm not sure why a lot of people do this; perhaps they think that using their voice to their full potential is feminine and they want to cradle their masculinity or something.

Tungro

Quote from: Kitsune on July 18, 2019, 12:56:06 PM
they often are way less stylized and overall just flat. I'm not sure why a lot of people do this; perhaps they think that using their voice to their full potential is feminine and they want to cradle their masculinity or something.
I largely disagree but I will refrain myself from starting something

The Skarzs

There are some fantastic male singers, though. Josh Groban, for example.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Kitsune on July 18, 2019, 12:56:06 PM
I find myself enjoying female voices more. Male voices are more boring to listen to because they often are way less stylized and overall just flat. I'm not sure why a lot of people do this; perhaps they think that using their voice to their full potential is feminine and they want to cradle their masculinity or something.
I disagree entirely.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Kitsune

The majority of what I listen to is in the popular circulation sphere, in which I would argue aren't a whole lot of artistic male vocalists. Sure there are plenty of male voices that are beautifully stylized and pleasing to listen to, but not so much among the music that I personally listen to.

(For example, I have absolutely no idea who Josh Groban is)

Plus my own aversion and disgust of my own low voice makes me shy away from listening to men sing.

There's plenty of male talent, just not in music circles that I follow.
Plus there is the dumb idea circling around that styling the voice is "girly" and "men shouldn't do it", "ew", "are you gay". Maybe it's just because I've been a choir kid all my life but I've seen it in so many places.