News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Singers' voice preference

Started by The Skarzs, July 14, 2019, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Female
9 (52.9%)
Male
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

The Skarzs

You should look up Josh Groban, Kit. He has some amazing Christmas albums.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Also, three words: Nat King Cole. ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rusvul

I'm a male. I'm a singer; I have a pretty low voice. Some male singers sound similar to me and sing in my range, almost no female singers do. So... I tend to gravitate towards male singers moreso than women, but that's more because I am one than because I think they sound better.

Kitsune

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Kitsune on September 17, 2019, 10:15:27 AM
Spoilers because one of the songs is about sex, but these are two examples of male-register voices that are just sexy ugh

Well having now listened to them, I agree with that much. The Demi Lovato one especially.

But I can think of male artists with similar range and variance in their style - Brendon Urie of Panic! at the Disco, and Jared Leto (yes, the actor) of Thirty Seconds to Mars spring immediately to mind.

And of course Freddie Mercury, who I don't need to elaborate on.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Kitsune

Their voices are good, I'm familiar with all three. Perhaps I should listen to them more.

Problem is, I'm not huge on the styles of music they typically sing in lol

Jetthebinturong

I suggest listening to Thirty Seconds to Mars' cover of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance." It's like a completely different song.

As for Brendon... uhhhhhhh. What have you already heard? Do you like ballads?

Kitsune

I gave the cover a listen, his voice is very nice. Not a huge fan of the slower tempo and overall uninteresting background music, though.

I... am not a fan of ballads at all, sorry
High Hopes is decent.

Jetthebinturong

Hmmmm. Stuff in the vein of High Hopes.

Honestly I think most of Pray for the Wicked is in that sort of style. Check out basically that entire album. Except Dying in LA, which is a ballad. EDIT: Okay, having looked at the track list, specific recommendations are Roaring 20s, One of the Drunks and The Overpass.

From Death of a Bachelor, definitely try Crazy = Genius. And possibly Don't Threaten Me with a Good Time? EDIT: Maybe also LA Devotee and The Good, The Bad, and the Dirty?

EDIT: Okay from Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die, I recommend Vegas Lights, Nicotine, Girls/Girls/Boys and Collar Full.

As for Vices and Virtues, maybe Hurricane, Sarah Smiles, Stall Me, I Wanna Be Free or Turn Off the Lights might suit you.

I can't really recommend anything from A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, 'cause I don't think you'd be into it. Maybe
Vaguely suggestive title
Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off?
[close]

And idk if you're into sixties pop, but their whole second album, Pretty. Odd. is inspired by the Beatles.

The Skarzs

*Watches in silent fascination.*
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Dannflower Reguba

This topic is quite fascinating, as the general consensus I've seen outside of here has been male preference for lead vocals, but I'm seeing the opposite here. I share the aforementioned preference for male leads, partially because (in my experience and from what I've heard) it's easier for a female to match a male than vice versa. On top of that, guys have a generally wider range (again, based more on personal experience than anything factual that I can show you at this moment). Mid tones and high mids make for a great baseline of enjoyable music as a general rule, which would arguably give guys an edge in that respect as well, as male ranges are centered roughly around low tenor~ish (more estimations, fun). All that having been said, my favorite singer is a female that I have the pleasure of being friends with, she's great.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

The Skarzs

The scores are pretty even across the board.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

shisteer of nothing much

Male, without a doubt. There are some really nice female voices too though.
In my opinion, the deeper the better, preferably Acapella.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on September 26, 2019, 12:37:18 AM
Same. ^^^
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on September 26, 2019, 02:31:50 AM
Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on September 26, 2019, 12:37:18 AM
Same. ^^^
;D
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!