News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What forum events would you like to see?

Started by Captain Tammo, January 29, 2020, 02:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

Hi all,

The staff team is gearing up for an announcement and I thought I'd put this out there for some member feedback. If the forum were to - hypothetically speaking of course (heh heh heh...) - set up a series of awesome events, is there any kind of forum events you'd like to (or not like to) see happen?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Verdauga

I would've posted something like a forum gala, but wouldn't be too different from the prom, I guess.

Wait.

An April Fools madcap RP.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Booklover

As long as it isn't a Series of Unfortunate Events.

A RP would be good. (This year April Fool's Day is a Wednesday, which is good as it's the day I have the most spare time).

I agree with the idea of a fanfic competition, too.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Tungro

Personally I would like to see something fresh and new. We have already had three fanfiction contests, several proms, and an rp requires to many commitments. Something quick, simple and fun would do for me

Verdauga

The thing is, if what is planned is too quick, some members could miss out on it. The proms, fanart and fanfic contests are simple (except possibly for judging) and thus have been used several times. Most of the events suggested are rather fun, I'd imagine. Otherwise, they would be suggested. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I did want to point these things out.

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Tungro

The problem with fanart is not everyone has artistic talent, even me. Besides the occasional model I can't make scrap. And with fanfictions you have the same thing + not everyone may have time to make one.

Verdauga

I'm not refuting you; I have no artistic or literary talent. And, nor am I saying they are quick. However, they do have the advantage of simplicity, at least, simplicity in scheduling. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that we might need to brainstorm what we want to suggest; the aforementioned activities do fit the "quick, simple, and fun" categories, even if they don't do so for everyone.

Do you want to continue this over private messages, so that the topic is not cluttered?

Tungro

Quote from: Verdauga on January 29, 2020, 07:37:37 PM
Do you want to continue this over private messages, so that the topic is not cluttered?
To be honest, I see no reason why. I was simply putting forth my thoughts, and a far as I am concerned I succeed. + further discussion would not have any positive effects.

Verdauga

No, to--ergh.

Well, then...what events are you suggesting we plan?

Captain Tammo

My takeaway from this is that variation in time commitment is a big deal in events. It might be worth having a few events be long - like the contests - and a few be short (I.e something that can be done in less than an hour). That way nobody feels like they can't participate if they have a particularly busy week ahead of them.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Kade Rivok

Mmm, I definitely think a mixture would be good.  One thing, though, I know that even if there are multiple, hour long events, some might feel like they missed out if they aren't able to participate.

But, that's just how it is for events really, so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't have any specific ideas, sorry, but for longer events, while a contest is good, I think something that could be participated in daily would be nice.

You could also look at setting up activities that lie outside the forum, like that group chat that Lass has been trying to put together.  Maybe also specific activities for those that can/want to join, like a day for PC gamers to all get on and game together, or setting up an online D&D game or something.  Of course, I'm just listing things that fall within my interests, i'm not saying you should specifically do those things.  Just examples of what I mean by "outside the forum".
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

One-Eye the wildcat

*Gamer intensifies*

I think having a gaming thing would be cool.

Long live the RRR!!

Tungro

That sounds pretty cool, the only issue would be finding a game we all have...

Games that I feel would work best would be something like Age of Empires, Battlefront 2, Ghost Recon, ect. Games that you can group up and don't necessarily need to wait for someone.