News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Started by Luftwaffles, July 02, 2020, 06:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luftwaffles

Anyone into this series? I was kind of put off from reading it by the sheer number of books it has (41, if I'm not mistaken) but I finally gave it a go and... I'm in love.

I know it was advertised as being "funny", but I certainly wasn't expecting to laugh out loud as hard or as much as I have so far. It's really great stuff.

Discuss everything related to the Discworld below, from favorite moments to quotes and characters! (But please use the spoiler tags for plot-revealing details, as I'm sure a lot of us haven't read the entirety of it!).
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Sebias of Redwall

Huh. I haven't read these, but I have heard a tad about them. Maybe I should pop in at the library and take a peek at one someday.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on July 02, 2020, 06:45:09 PM
Huh. I haven't read these, but I have heard a tad about them. Maybe I should pop in at the library and take a peek at one someday.

You totally should!

These are great fun :D

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

MeadowR

As said elsewhere, have read quite a lot of these books! The focus seems to gradually go away from lots of fantasy to more human in time. Some are more funny and interesting than others and a couple I haven't found so engaging... but overall I enjoy the series. :)

'Monstrous Regiment' springs to mind for one I would recommend. ;D

Will probably say more a bit later...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Booklover

I've read almost all of them (I (or more precisely, my brother) do have all of them, just taking a short break).

Who's your favourite character?
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Booklover on July 03, 2020, 05:58:12 PM
I've read almost all of them (I (or more precisely, my brother) do have all of them, just taking a short break).

Who's your favourite character?

Right now, currently debated between Rincewind and the Weasel.

Booklover

The Weasel? It's been about a year since I read the early ones, give or take.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Booklover on July 03, 2020, 06:04:03 PM
The Weasel? It's been about a year since I read the early ones, give or take.

One of the thieves whom Rincewind tells the story of Colour of Magic to (man, I HATE spelling things the British way :r).

Booklover

I think he only appear in The Colour of Magic (oy! Your bad spelling has switched over to me) as a minor character.

Wylder Treejumper

Our more practical spelling, you mean. Anyways, Discworld is one of those series that has been on my reading list for years and years but I just never get around to for some reason. I'll get there some day...
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 03, 2020, 06:57:14 PM
Our more practical spelling, you mean. Anyways, Discworld is one of those series that has been on my reading list for years and years but I just never get around to for some reason. I'll get there some day...

I don't blame you... have got the books for years and only recently decided to tackle them.

It's a bit of an incredibly daunting task.

Oh, and the games got so close to being awesome, even legendary... but ewwwww! Moon logic.

MeadowR

Quote from: Luftwaffles on July 03, 2020, 06:05:47 PM

One of the thieves whom Rincewind tells the story of Colour of Magic to (man, I HATE spelling things the British way :r).

Go away. And same to Wylder!

Rinceweed is fun. I like Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax, the Librarian and all the Igors. XD I like other characters, as well. Just need to read back through them to remind me.

~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Jarky Thistlebrush

I've just read the first few. They're very good.
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

Luftwaffles

I'm almost done with the first one.

Really, really loving it so far.

Luftwaffles

I just finished "A Light Fantastic", the second book.

I didn't enjoy it for the most part (thought it was very aimless in general) but the last 200 pages or so caught me and never quite let go of me.

Very excited to see what comes next!