News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

YA/Adult Books About Foxes

Started by Mara the Wolf, February 05, 2021, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mara the Wolf

Are there any good books about foxes? I'm suddenly wanting to read a book about foxes, but not a children's book. I know a few YA/Adult books (The Fox and the Hound, The Ballad of the Belstone Fox, and Hunter's Moon (1989)), but I wanted your guys opinions.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

MeadowR

There's... *opens and shuts mouth* Ah, you already mentioned those. Have you read 'The Animals Of Farthing Wood' series? Not exclusively about foxes, but they are mentioned quite a lot throughout. I just looked up on Google 'fiction with foxes' and quite a few books came up. It's just about filtering through some to work out whether they are relevant enough. There's one called 'Run To Earth' - seems to be a series, possibly YA.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Tungro

I'd recommend Bambi. Not about foxes specifically but there are some fox characters. The original book by Felix Salten is quite darker than the Disney rendition though so don't judge it off that lol.

Mara the Wolf

I've never read any of those, nor the three I mentioned. I just happened to know of them. I've seen the movie adaptations of The Fox and the Hound and The Belstone Fox, but never read the books they're based on.

Already knew that about Bambi. I love to watch a YouTube series called "Messed Up Origins" by Jon Solo.
Fursonas:

Tungro

Quote from: Masika on February 05, 2021, 04:46:33 PM
Already knew that about Bambi. I love to watch a YouTube series called "Messed Up Origins" by Jon Solo.
I've seen some of his, didn't know he had one for Bambi, I'll have to check that out

Mara the Wolf

I just found out about another series featuring foxes: Foxcraft. Funnily enough, it features magic-wielding foxes, which I'm perfectly fine with, but figured any American or European book featuring foxes and magic would be for little kids.

Foxcraft is a series of books written by Inbali Iserles. The first book was released in 2015.

Isla's happy life with her fox family in a patch of urban greenery is destroyed when her den is attacked by strange, savage foxes and she is left all alone. But, she doesn't give up hope that her brother is still alive. She sets out to find him, though she is still too young to understand she can barely knows how to hunt. An older fox finds her, and begins to teach her the magic of foxcraft. These skills will prove essential; the foxes who attacked her family are part of something much larger and much darker than she could have imagined.

Has nothing to do with the 1.14 update of Minecraft, which introduced foxes.

The books in the series are:
The Taken
The Elders
The Mage

Who's Inbali Iserles, you might be asking? She's one of the Erin Hunters!

Inbali Iserles: Another Survivors author. Under her own name, she has written The Tygrine Cat, Fox Craft, and The Bloodstone Bird. She lives in London with a dog named Michi.
Fursonas:

clunylooney

I mean... The Fox went out on a Chilly night.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Mara the Wolf

Fursonas:

Hazelsqueak

clunylooney

"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Mara the Wolf

Isn't that a children's book? My first post said YA/Adult.
Fursonas:

Hazelsqueak

Just google "young adult books about foxes" and a bunch of stuff pops up. You'll have to read the descriptions to decide for yourself if they are kids books or YA.