News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Books that you like

Started by Log a Log Grenn, June 12, 2011, 10:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Log a Log Grenn

Does anyone know any good books like Redwall ?
I like Animals of Farthing Wood
I also like Discworld by Terry Pratchett
Redwall is the best thing that ever happened to me

Mariel

Besides Brian Jacques I would say the four best children's fantasy series are written by Rick Riordan, C.S. Lewis and J.K. Rowling.  I just started reading a series by Stephen R. Lawhead, another British author who writes about King Arthur and Robin Hood, and people like them from old England.  They are awesome, exciting and well-written, but keep in mind that they are only appropriate for MATURE AUDIENCES.  I really don't want to recommend them to someone who will blame me if they are disturbed by the story or something.  I would say 14+ as a good age range, but even so, ask your parents first so I don't get in trouble.

TinaFey123/Tomthetomatoe

Quote from: Mariel on June 12, 2011, 03:06:24 PM
Besides Brian Jacques I would say the four best children's fantasy series are written by Rick Riordan, C.S. Lewis and J.K. Rowling.  I just started reading a series by Stephen R. Lawhead, another British author who writes about King Arthur and Robin Hood, and people like them from old England.  They are awesome, exciting and well-written, but keep in mind that they are only appropriate for MATURE AUDIENCES.  I really don't want to recommend them to someone who will blame me if they are disturbed by the story or something.  I would say 14+ as a good age range, but even so, ask your parents first so I don't get in trouble.
Thank you for warning me because if I got scared then I don't know what I would do to recover. Sometime all of that scary stuff in books is just overwhelming.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Matthias720

Besides Redwall, I enjoy reading classics like Sherlock Holmes and authors like Jules Verne, but I also enjoy more modern books like the Left Behind series and the works of Wayne Thomas Batson.

Spring Breeze

Brian Davis is one of my favorite authors beside Brian Jacques.  I also like the Alex Rider books by Anthony Horowitz.
"Oh, golly.  Old Log-a-Thing's fallen over."
--Trubbs, "Mossflower"

Log a Log Grenn

I used to like Alex Rider but I out grew them
Never heard of Brian Davis what does he write?

Flurgy Twinj

The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman are well worth a read  :) If you've never heard of them, the movie The Golden Compass that was released a few years back was based on them.

I'm also a big fan of Eoin Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' series of books....whilst they're not much like Redwall, they're certainly exciting, very funny and fine for everybody to read.

From tummy ache, soretail and sniffs,
From grunge and whisker cramp,
From wobbly paws, and flurgy twinj,
O keep all in this camp.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

@Log a Log Grenn: Brian Davis is a Christian fiction author, he has wrote various series and books, his most famous being the Dragons in Our Midst series.

The Hobbit besides Redwall is my favorite book. I've read it...17 times or so, at least.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Flurgy Twinj on June 12, 2011, 11:58:09 PM
I'm also a big fan of Eoin Colfer's 'Artemis Fowl' series of books....whilst they're not much like Redwall, they're certainly exciting, very funny and fine for everybody to read.

Yes! The Artemis Fowl series is amazing! I would definitely recommend it to any fan of Redwall. :)
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Log a Log Grenn

I HATE Thhe Artemis Fowl
I find the plot weak the characters boring

Mariel

Another great mouse series for younger readers is Poppy, by Avi.

TinaFey123/Tomthetomatoe

Quote from: Mariel on June 13, 2011, 03:45:29 PM
Another great mouse series for younger readers is Poppy, by Avi.
Mariel, in your mind would the mice from Redwall, Poppy, or A Tale of Two Cities win in a battle?

Osu

I would very highly recommend anything by Dianna Wynne Jones! If you give Dark Lord of Derkholm a read you won't be able to stop, guaranteed! Maybe.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Superdreuzel

Quote from: Log a Log Grenn on June 12, 2011, 10:59:50 AM
Does anyone know any good books like Redwall ?
I like Animals of Farthing Wood
I also like Discworld by Terry Pratchett

Hmm, I can't say I have read something that is similar to Redwall, but I am a die hard Harry Potter fan. Currently also reading Twilight, but i recommend to everyone, not to read it.

Question, the other series of Brian, the one with the slaveship. Is it similar to Redwall or is it completely different?
Hmm ... Dolohov ...

Matthias720

You mean the Castaways series? Yeah, it's different, but it definitely has the Brian Jacques feel to it.