Top Characters You'd Like to Smack

Started by Flandor, June 09, 2012, 10:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: Flandor on June 11, 2012, 05:26:54 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on June 11, 2012, 04:15:08 PM
If you take my comments as rude than I'm sorry for that.... Have you seen saving private Ryan? Black Hawk Down? The Patriot? They all have two things in common... They are rated R and are about real life war. If you've seen these movies and have no compassion for those who have experienced war for real... That would make you (or whoever doesn't carry compassion) the heartless cruel one, not them. War is not a nice thing to go through. I have an uncle who WAS AT Black Hawk down... over night too. He has had his best friend blow up right in front of him and some of the pieces landed on him. He was trained as a ranger, has been shot, fragged, and gassed... He is rough at times... Quite often too... But he is one of the BETTER cases. Mods, if you want me to modify this post for its graphic depictions. please PM me, I'd like to be the one to change it if you think it needs changing.

Now you're insinuating that I have no compassion for real life veterans? I know many of them, and work with a lot of them.  My grandfather was a vet.  I do civil war reenacting in order to honor vets.  I've seen all the movies.  Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Im Westen Nichts Neues, The Pacific.  I know war is horrific.  Heck, I'm writing a novel about it.  

But this is not real war we are talking about.  We are speaking in Redwall terms.  Just think of all the warriors in the series.  Even the most bitter of them, Urthstrype the Mighty, was never so mean to others as Rusvul was.  And the impression that I got of Rusvul was that it was the death of his wife that made him bitter, not the horrors of war.  In fact, he almost glorified the way of the warrior.  No real life veteran that I know would say things of that nature.  They obviously have respect towards the armed forces and for those who have fought but I know very few of them who would be cruel to their son because he was not following the same way that they did or because he did not have the same levels of hard-trained discipline that they do.  Surely those sort of guys exist but I would have a little less respect for them.  Sympathy, maybe, but that is not a respectable quality.

I would appreciate in the future not making assumptions like that.  I took that a little personally.

Redwallwise, I still do not like Rusvul.  I understand him.  I know he lost his wife and that is an obscenely hard thing to go through.  But I do not like him and I don't have much respect for his character.  What if Nimbalo's father beat him because he was a warrior and had a hard go of life? Does that make him any more likeable? It makes him a round, and understandable character but not one that we have to like.

Yo I do agree, Rusvul is a stiff-necked ruthless father, but in his defense i think he is closer to the actual psychological response then many of the characters who have suffered similar losses. and here's another point as a hot tempered parent how do you explain that kind of loss to your only young one? so in short i see where both of you are coming from and would smack you two guys instead for not showing a little bit of pity towards him and the deep loss he must feel.

Dannflower Reguba

I SAID that very thing! That his loss should be understood! Please read the full posts before posting yourself, I was arg... Debatin', in Rusvals' defense!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: danflorreguba on June 18, 2012, 10:06:06 PM
I SAID that very thing! That his loss should be understood! Please read the full posts before posting yourself, I was arg... Debatin', in Rusvals' defense!
Amen

Dannflower Reguba

Okay thats' kinda weird considering you said that I should be smacked in your last post....  ???
;) Still confused though.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Lily

Hey Ciaran, please don't post multiple times in a row. If you want to quote multiple replies you can use the "Insert Quote" option above the posts in the Topic Summary at the bottom of the reply page.

Also, I think we crossed the line from "debating" to "arguing" a few pages ago. Things were resolved somewhat, but I still think we'd better leave the whole Rusvul topic alone. This whole thread is highly subjective, there's no doubt that there are going to be some disagreements. There's no need to resort to personal attacks when we're all trying to have fun.

Sorry for the mod post, but really, guys... it's all in good fun! It's OK to defend your opinion, but there is such a thing as taking it too far.

Flandor

Quote from: Lily on June 19, 2012, 03:56:50 AM
Hey Ciaran, please don't post multiple times in a row. If you want to quote multiple replies you can use the "Insert Quote" option above the posts in the Topic Summary at the bottom of the reply page.

Also, I think we crossed the line from "debating" to "arguing" a few pages ago. Things were resolved somewhat, but I still think we'd better leave the whole Rusvul topic alone. This whole thread is highly subjective, there's no doubt that there are going to be some disagreements. There's no need to resort to personal attacks when we're all trying to have fun.

Sorry for the mod post, but really, guys... it's all in good fun! It's OK to defend your opinion, but there is such a thing as taking it too far.

I agree we got a little out of hand before, but we made good via PM and it won't be a problem in the future.  :) 

I agree with whoever said Celandine.  She was.... just a royal pain.  So whiny.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lily

Quote from: Flandor on June 19, 2012, 06:41:39 AM
I agree with whoever said Celandine.  She was.... just a royal pain.  So whiny.
Agreed, I couldn't stand all her primping and flirting. You mentioned a few pages back that Martin and co. ran into a lot of annoying parties on their travels, and you're right! I think the only ones they met who didn't deserve a smack were Polleekin, The Warden and Boldred. We've already mentioned the Mirdops, the Gawtrybe and the pygmy shrews; I'd say the cannibal lizards were also smack-worthy. I'm not sure that old hedgehog who drugged them with the cherries exactly deserved a smack, but he wasn't the nicest of creatures. It's a wonder they made it to Noonvale at all!

Ciaran Galedeep

very well LIly we'll leave the stiff-necked one alone and cease the argufyin'

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Ciaran Galedeep on June 19, 2012, 02:33:43 PM
At first I thought you meant me... lol... Merdops could've REALLY used some smaking! And what was wrong with Celandine? She iked Gonff at that was pretty much it?

Flandor

Quote from: danflorreguba on June 19, 2012, 07:23:14 PM
At first I thought you meant me... lol... Merdops could've REALLY used some smaking! And what was wrong with Celandine? She iked Gonff at that was pretty much it?

No no, you're thinking of Columbine.  Celandine was the squirrel in Martin the Warrior who was smitten with Felldoh and was very prissy.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Skipper

Lily, you reminded me of someone, I can't exactly remember what book it was in though I have a feeling it was Doomwyte. That hedgehog who claimed she was the queen of bee's and gave them that sweet honey.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on June 19, 2012, 07:38:41 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on June 19, 2012, 07:23:14 PM

No no, you're thinking of Columbine.  Celandine was the squirrel in Martin the Warrior who was smitten with Felldoh and was very prissy.
I thought the name sounded weird! Whole-heartedly agree with y'all now! She could use the smack. So darn prissy and self-focused!....... (Didn't I just describe the human race? [self-focused, not neccesarily prissy])

Redwallfan7

Oh, I so want to smack Blodd Apis from Doomwyte
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

MatthiasMan

Redwallfan7

I saw nothing wrong with Celandine, even though  she's not one of my favorites
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers