News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Which side do you root for?

Started by Orinoco, August 26, 2012, 01:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orinoco

Who's side are you usually on? The goodbeasts? The vermin? Mutual?

Depending on the book, I actually root for the vermin. I do cheer on the heroes though. ;)
"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young

SpiderMonkey

I generally cheer the heroes on, but I sometimes have one particular vermin that I enjoy reading about.  In that case, I cheer for the heroes, but that specific vermin as well.

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Stripedog

The goodbeasts, always. The most I feel for the vermin is sympathy. I'm reading Mossflower right now, for example, and I feel bad for Ashleg and Fortunata when Tsarmina bullies them. I wish they'd renounce their ways and join the woodlanders!

Redwallfan7

It depends. In Martin the Warrior, the good beasts. But like, say, in Marlfox, I root for the vermin. I love foxes
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Orinoco

Quote from: Redwallfan7 on August 26, 2012, 03:25:51 AM
It depends. In Martin the Warrior, the good beasts. But like, say, in Marlfox, I root for the vermin. I love foxes

Yeah, same here. Like in The Long Patrol, Triss, and Mossflower, I wanted the goodies to win. Then in Pearls of Lutra, Salamandastron, and Outcast of Redwall, I cheered on the vermin.

But, I only root for the vermin if I like their leader. This doesn't mean I approve of their actions (murder, slavery, etc.), but I like their personality, or I find something in them that I can relate to.

But then again, sometimes I switch back and forth. For example, in Martin the Warrior, I would root for Martin when the book was focusing on him and his friends, but I would cheer for Badrang when the focus was on him. I guess you'd call that "Mutual".

In Redwall, though, it's more complicated. Cluny is one of my favorite characters, so of course I cheered for him, more so actually than Matthias. But, in the final battle, although I really wish Cluny wouldn't have died, I'm glad the goodbeasts prevailed. If they didn't, there would be no Redwall Abbey for us to read about!

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: Orinoco on August 26, 2012, 01:38:01 PM

Yeah, same here. Like in The Long Patrol, Triss, and Mossflower, I wanted the goodies to win. Then in Pearls of Lutra, Salamandastron, and Outcast of Redwall, I cheered on the vermin.

But, I only root for the vermin if I like their leader. This doesn't mean I approve of their actions (murder, slavery, etc.), but I like their personality, or I find something in them that I can relate to.

But then again, sometimes I switch back and forth. For example, in Martin the Warrior, I would root for Martin when the book was focusing on him and his friends, but I would cheer for Badrang when the focus was on him. I guess you'd call that "Mutual".

In Redwall, though, it's more complicated. Cluny is one of my favorite characters, so of course I cheered for him, more so actually than Matthias. But, in the final battle, although I really wish Cluny wouldn't have died, I'm glad the goodbeasts prevailed. If they didn't, there would be no Redwall Abbey for us to read about!  ;)

:o Whoo, that was a long post.

I hated Badrang, but that was mostly because he had Feldoh killed, and enslaved beasts that were innocent.  He reminded me of Hitler.  In my opinion, "Martin the Warrior" was the only book in the series so far that I actually cried when reading it.  It was the only book I've ever read that made me cry, I'm usually not attached to the characters in stories.  Feldoh was my favorite character in all of Redwall, and was he started my obsession with squirrels.  "Martin the Warrior is probably one of the most emotional books in the series.

Orinoco

Quote from: SpiderMonkey on August 26, 2012, 01:46:37 PM

In Redwall, though, it's more complicated. Cluny is one of my favorite characters, so of course I cheered for him, more so actually than Matthias. But, in the final battle, although I really wish Cluny wouldn't have died, I'm glad the goodbeasts prevailed. If they didn't, there would be no Redwall Abbey for us to read about!  ;)

I hated Badrang, but that was mostly because he had Feldoh killed, and enslaved beasts that were innocent.  He reminded me of Hitler.  In my opinion, "Martin the Warrior" was the only book in the series so far that I actually cried when reading it.  It was the only book I've ever read that made me cry, I'm usually not attached to the characters in stories.  Feldoh was my favorite character in all of Redwall, and was he started my obsession with squirrels.  "Martin the Warrior is probably one of the most emotional books in the series.

I think I'm the only person who likes Badrang.  :'(  That's okay though, we all have our separate opinions.  ;)

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: Orinoco on August 26, 2012, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: SpiderMonkey on August 26, 2012, 01:46:37 PM

I think I'm the only person who likes Badrang.  :'(  That's okay though, we all have our separate opinions.  ;)

I don't have a problem with anybody that likes him, he just was my personal least favorite villain.  I wish Feldoh would've killed him.

Lutra

I remember rooting for the Marlfoxes when I first read that book.  Guess I'll have to re-read it and find out why I felt that I should hope one or all survived.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwallfan7

I liked them because I think it would be awesome to turn invisible, plus the fact that they're silver foxes. I had never even known that there were silver foxes before I read Marlfox.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah generally root fer the vermin, but enjoy the quotez, zingin', an' aw the rest o' the lot of the goodbeasts.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on August 26, 2012, 07:06:37 PM
Ah generally root fer the vermin, but enjoy the quotez, zingin', an' aw the rest o' the lot of the goodbeasts.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Where did dis guy come from!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Lutra

He flew in from another galaxy to stop by and post again. :D
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rainshadow

I'd have to say that I root for the heroes most of the time.  But, sometimes there's a cool vermin that I root for.  Not all the time, but sometimes.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!