who would win?

Started by Captain Tammo, July 07, 2011, 09:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

The Guosim seem to be played as a handy little tool in the books and have varying amounts of success.
When it comes down to it, if the focus is not on them they are likely the ones being slaughtered the most in the background.
When there's an important shrew character, the opposite happens.

Perhaps the two would be evenly matched and kill eachother off until the survivors on both sides did not wish to fight any longer.

James Gryphon

Well, in the illustration the weasel was only about twice as big as the chief. Monitors are probably twice the size of him, a large vermin. One unnamed Monitor took Skipper, a large otter leader, out of action, apparently with only his built-in weapons. I think that's more than any other unnamed character except for Wearet, the Slavemaster has ever achieved on-page. Ublaz broke a spear shaft smacking his troops to try to get them moving (and didn't do anything significant in the process).

Tsarmina took down Martin and had him dead to rights. We don't know how large Monitor Lizards are (there's a pretty wide range in their sizes in the real world, it seems, and the book isn't specific on what type they are), but they could be better armed than even a large wildcat, and tougher, even if they're not as bright. The only weapons I remember them being referred to using were spears, but their claws and teeth are probably just as good at close range (like Tsarmina's claws). And rapiers are light weapons, not really suited to taking on heavily-armored opponents.

Guosim are great and everything, but I think they ought to get smacked down in this case. I'd personally find it very unfair if Mr. Jacques wrote a scene like this in the books.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

The Monitors would rightfully win but I do not think Brian would let that happen.

James Gryphon

Not through most of the series, you're likely right. That said, they got trounced in Rogue Crew under arguably better circumstances.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

Haven't read it yet...
Looking foreward to that scene.  >:D

The Skarzs

You don't like shrews much, Ash? ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Some shrews really grind my gears.

The Skarzs

And I think most of us subconciously want our "heroes" to fail. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

I conciously want them to fail.

Except for Tagg.
Tagg was cool.

Captain Tammo

So after some discussion, the victory goes to the monitor lizards this round!

New matchup!

Deyna the Taggerung from Taggerung!
Vs.
Martin the Warrior from Mossflower

Both stand on a log over a stream and must fight with ash staves until the other falls off into the water!

Who Would Win?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Ashleg

Martin was nearly killed fighting Tsarmina and defeated Badrang only after the stoat was previously beaten senseless by Felldoh.
Tagg was actually a good fighter, and was feared by many in his tribe.
He is also likely much larger than Martin.

I'm going with Tagg.

James Gryphon

You make it sound like Felldoh beat Badrang unconscious, then Martin walked over and slit his throat while he was still out. ;) That's kind of a misleading description.

In fact, he beat Badrang in a fight without much trouble and with bad armament. And as far as Tsarmina goes, a wildcat in this series is a foe that I think would be worthy of any opponent. Both in real life and in the series, they're born killers. Tagg might have had the best training that the Juskarath could offer, but Martin had both the experience that comes from actual fighting, and the benefit of training from the Badger Lord who was the best fighter in the world (at that or possibly any other time).

In an actual all-out fight to the death, I think Martin is more of a fighter and possibly has more skills to back it up, and that he could take Tagg. That said, in this scenario, where there's no substantial injuries and no lives at stake, it's not so clear. I think it's a tossup. Tagg might have more of the traits (grace, balance, etc.) that would be conducive to winning this match.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

What I was trying to say was that he beat him easily because Badrang had previously been beaten down. :P

James Gryphon

Is there any evidence of that, though? From what I remember reading the book, Badrang was pretty well in his prime for the final battle. No doubt the beating had been painful, but it had been some time, and he's a tough stoat, and he seemed to have recovered quite nicely.
« Subject to editing »

Ashleg

"Badrang was up and about, looking much the worse the wear but still bad-tempered and active." Page 332, word for word.
And on page 362, when he actually sees Martin, the dude chickens out completely.
And 365? Martin killed him while Badrang was begging.

It was an easy victory because, when it boils down to it, he wasn't up against the Badrang from the beginning of the book.
Again, and Tsarmina nearly killed him--yes, she's big, but unlike Ungat Trunn, she was not raised a fighter. She was a princess/queen.
Rakkety Tam killed a freakin' wolverine.