News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Table-Top RPGs

Started by WoodlandWarrior, May 11, 2013, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlandWarrior

Just curious if anyone here plays Dungeons or Dragons or any other table-top rpgs and what editions?
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Nae, but ah'm interezted in zem.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

KitrallStreamrippler

I like to play D&D, but don't get to very often, seeing how I lack a DM and party. (Welcome to the forum, by the way.)

If you are looking for people to play with, I would be happy to oblige. Also, this might interest you: http://www.1km1kt.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/the-sword-of-martin.pdf (Another forum member found it.)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on May 11, 2013, 10:35:18 PM
I like to play D&D, but don't get to very often, seeing how I lack a DM and party. (Welcome to the forum, by the way.)

If you are looking for people to play with, I would be happy to oblige. Also, this might interest you: http://www.1km1kt.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/the-sword-of-martin.pdf (Another forum member found it.)

I've never role played by the internet before....it would be interesting.  Too bad about the lack of DM and adventuring party!  What edition do you play?  And thankee for the welcome!

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on May 11, 2013, 08:12:19 PM
Nae, but ah'm interezted in zem.

Well...what kinds of genres interest you?!  I could pretty much name an rpg from fantasy to space marines!
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

I've never played the table-top RPGs, but I have played some of the old computer games made by SSI based on Dungeons & Dragons and it's spin-offs (there was one based on Buck Rogers) - I've still got those games on Amiga disks, but no Amiga to play them on. I've also played quite a few similar RPG computer games not based on those rules, like Diablo.

My brother used to have a little local club of friends who played Dungeons & Dragons, even renting a small local hall from time to time.

WoodlandWarrior

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on May 12, 2013, 03:03:38 AM
I've never played the table-top RPGs, but I have played some of the old computer games made by SSI based on Dungeons & Dragons and it's spin-offs (there was one based on Buck Rogers) - I've still got those games on Amiga disks, but no Amiga to play them on. I've also played quite a few similar RPG computer games not based on those rules, like Diablo.

My brother used to have a little local club of friends who played Dungeons & Dragons, even renting a small local hall from time to time.

Aaaah!! I love the old Strategic Simulation games!!  I played the Eye of the Beholder all the time.  I must have played the second one about 10 times!  I hated that little halfling you rescue in the prison...and once you rest, he robs your party. :(

I also played Veil of Darkness (sort of based on Ravenloft) which was an awesome gothic horror game. 

I loved Diablo.  I put in many hours into that game....

Sometimes I miss my old IBM 486!

KitrallStreamrippler

Quote from: WoodlandWarrior on May 12, 2013, 02:31:48 AM
Quote from: KitrallStreamrippler on May 11, 2013, 10:35:18 PM

I've never role played by the internet before....it would be interesting.  Too bad about the lack of DM and adventuring party!  What edition do you play?  And thankee for the welcome!

I'll play whatever edition is available, but I am most familiar with edition 3.5, as my older brother started me out with his books of that edition. (Also, some old AD&D books were just found at my house, but I'm not sure of the version...)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

WoodlandWarrior

Hey Kitrall,

I'm pretty familiar with 3.5.  Our old group played that edition for about 8 years.  It is a solid system but we did find it could get a bit wild with all the extra sourcebooks! 

I grew up on the old red box D&D that came out in '83.  Then eventually played tons of AD&D and jumped right into 2nd Edition. 

AD&D has the covers with the E'freet, The Statue, and Monster Manual with the centaur and such on it....there was also a release of AD&D that had orange bindings.

AD&D 2nd ed. generally had the all black books with the red AD&D logo, the first print run were more akin to first edition.

I've toyed around with 4th, I liked parts and disliked other parts.  And I've played a fair amount of 3.5's spiritual successor, Pathfinder.  Mostly, I've stuck to the older editions.

What types of characters do you generally roll up?

KitrallStreamrippler

My usual character is a halfling rogue, because I like stealth, but I've played a Druid and a ranger at some point. I kind of want to try a bard...

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: WoodlandWarrior on May 12, 2013, 04:30:33 PM
Aaaah!! I love the old Strategic Simulation games!!  I played the Eye of the Beholder all the time.  I must have played the second one about 10 times!  I hated that little halfling you rescue in the prison...and once you rest, he robs your party. :(

I also played Veil of Darkness (sort of based on Ravenloft) which was an awesome gothic horror game. 

I loved Diablo.  I put in many hours into that game....

Sometimes I miss my old IBM 486!

I'm not sure if I played all the SSI games, but I defintely played quite a few of them. I think somewhere I might still have the maps drawn while playing them.

I killed my computer's mouse playing Diablo. I got too busy and didn't get very far through Diablo II before I had to give it back to my brother. The new one needs a better computer than my 15 year old Mac. Blizzard are one of the few (if not only) companies that produce Windows and Mac versions at the same time, and usually on the same CD / DVD. I do keep looking at the Diablo box-sets in the local games shop thinking about buying one, but I don't really have the time to play complicated games any more ... things that are easy to pick up and put down like Tetris and Solitaire are what I tend to play these days.

You can play the old games under emulation on a newer computer, but, although emulation itself isn't illegal, copying the ROM chips from old computers and downloading the games usually is (there are some that have been released as freeware).

WoodlandWarrior

Buzzbumble,

Thank you for the info on emulators...I forgot all about them to be honest.  I've been itching to play an old Origins game called Crusader: No Remorse.  I loved that game so much.

I love Blizzard games.  I got really into the Diablo series, but haven't played 3.  I played Starcraft like a freak, but haven't gotten to 2 yet.  And I've played all the Warcrafts including World of Warcraft for long periods of time.  I think I invested about 7 or 8 years in WoW, then I said "time to stop"! :)

Kitrall,

I played halflings rogues quite a bit.  They are one of my favorite class and race combinations.  Druids, I don't have much experience with but rangers I've played often.  Generally, I play clerics, fighters, or cavaliers.  I also love playing as a dwarf or half-orc. :)

Buzz_Bumble

Over the Christmas holiday time I was playing an old Gameboy Colour RPG game called Towers: Lord Baniff's Deceit, but I got stuck (can't find any more keys / buttons or doors I can open) and from what I can find on the Internet nobody else played it - I can't find any hints, maps, etc., only reviews saying it's no good. It seemed OK to me though.

Thomas Barkshield

My bros were heavily into DND, (whichever edition had mialee and tordek). My uncle also had the original DND, and two boxes of lead miniatures! (Ill try to get some pics up). I don't play any computer RPGS, I lack enough knowledge about them. Welcome to the forum by the way!

WoodlandWarrior

Buzzbumble,

Heh, you are right about that!  I just checked GameFAQs about it and there was literally nothing about it posted.  I wonder if you could find an old Prima guide about it on Amazon Marketplace or E-bay.

Thomas,

The edition you mentioned with Tordek, Mialee, Regdar, Lidda, and all the rest of that crew was 3rd edition and 3.5.  I love miniatures by the way.  I have tons that I paint for games.  I got into the pre-painted plastic minis Wizards put out for awhile, but I love the old school ones more.

Wow he has OD&D?  Is it the wood grain or white box, do you know?  In either case, that is quite the collector's item.  I am planning on buying the reprint of the OD&D white box that is coming out in November that Wizards is putting out.

Thomas Barkshield

HEHE, whoops, he has the original ADND (players guide). :P. I should have checked sooner, but its still 1st edition.

Some pics of the minis: (Sorry for the bad quality)