News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

General Suggestions

Started by rakkety tam, July 19, 2011, 07:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

Quote from: MatthiasMan on July 10, 2012, 01:36:16 PM
How about some contest where you make something and put up a picture? Like a wooden sword competition? A bunch of people I've heard make then here. I do it all the time.

Please link to an example of this because I don't understand what you mean by it.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwaller

Why don't you make a board for competitions!

Lutra

What sort of competitions?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwaller

Fanfic competitions, rp competitions, wood swords competitions. Many competitions!

Lutra

Who makes the rules regarding these?  The staff?  Certain members?  I'd be ok with certain people running the show if they were willing to do so.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwaller

I would be willing to do it with another member!

Lutra

Answer the question please....does staff need to be in on these competitions to make certain it goes as it should?  If the staff isn't needed to run the competition, how do you decide who does what?  What's to stop this stuff from becoming popularity contests (as a lot of competitions become)?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

BrookSkimmer

Chiming in on competitions:

It is a good idea to pre-set the judges for competitions before creating them. It is also a good idea to request the help of a mod or two for running a competition.

There has recently been a role-playing contest and there will most likely be a second role-playing contest at the end of this summer. I run these and saw quite a bit of success with the first one. The key is getting at least three people to help run the contest event. Also having at least one mod involved makes things run smoother.

If you are planning on running a contest for something that is created by hand (like a wooden sword contest, I like the idea!) entries should be presented anonymously for people to vote on. that would keep it from becoming a popularity contest.

There's my thoughts... hope they help.

Redwaller

Good idea Brookskimmer! For contests concerning the Forum. ie: If it's for the fanfic contest, the votes should be based on how good the story is, not if it's finished or not!

W0NWILL

Maybe people could chose a password for deleting their account so if their account is hacked, the hacker can't delete someones account. I'd check to see if there is one, but I'm too scared to press that little button to check.

Redwaller

Me too!  ;D So what about my idea?

Lutra

Quote from: W0NWILL on July 13, 2012, 03:53:14 AM
Maybe people could chose a password for deleting their account so if their account is hacked, the hacker can't delete someones account. I'd check to see if there is one, but I'm too scared to press that little button to check.

I don't understand.  You have the option to delete your account in your profile.  Is the suggestion for that not to be there?  Even requiring password authorization, that isn't going to stop someone who has already hacked your account.  Haven't seen any events of that occurring here, so no need to worry. :)

Quote from: RedwallerSo what about my idea?

I don't have a definitive answer, nor does the staff.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Dannflower Reguba

Griffen got his account hacked early on when he was new here.  :-\
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Redwallfan7

Quote from: danflorreguba on July 16, 2012, 04:23:44 PM
Griffen got his account hacked early on when he was new here.  :-\
why?
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflower Reguba

You're asking me!? I have no clue!  ???
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This