News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, July 19, 2013, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever done, or do you do, MMA?

Mixed
1 (12.5%)
Karate
3 (37.5%)
Tae Kwon Doe
2 (25%)
Jiu Jitsu
0 (0%)
Judo
0 (0%)
None
2 (25%)
Boxing/Thai Boxing
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

BadgerLordFiredrake

Does anyone here do MMA, or mixed martial arts?  Or any martial arts?  Please don't talk about belts, because I've been in different classes and they all have very different rigors and standards.
baby turtle forever

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

BadgerLordFiredrake

baby turtle forever

Romsca

I take Tae Kwon Do!

Can I talk about belts if I list what level they are?

Maudie

I do Junior American Kenpo Karate, until I turn fourteen. Then I do Ed Parker Kenpo Karate, which is more complicated.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

BadgerLordFiredrake

I'd prefer not, because in my class, belts have to do with how long/how many classes you've been to, and how old you are.

I <3 americana.  >:D  Painful, fast, and hard to defend against.
baby turtle forever

Romsca

BadgerLordFiredrake

Judo/Jiu Jitsu.  In mount.  It's a shoulder lock, and hurts like crazy when done correctly.  Can break bones.
baby turtle forever

Romsca

Dawnwing

I'm in Budokai karate; have been in it for three years now.   Budokai is a newer (1980s I think), American style, based on traditional Japanese styles.  It's pretty serious and formal.  The style makes equal use of arms and legs, and emphasizes self-defense.    
I know you said no belt levels, but I feel like talking about it anyway. xP  Budokai goes White > Blue > Yellow > Green > Brown > Black.  We promote based on mastering specific techniques for that level (new forms, self-defense techniques, and kicks/blocks/other techniques) and how "polished" we are and our endurance; I don't think age matters.  Number of classes does matter but everyone in our class who's interested in promoting comes every time anyway, so we don't take much notice of that.  White to blue and blue to yellow take about a semester each, but after that it slows down, can take a couple years.  So I'm a high yellow belt right now (was yellow for about two years before being promoted): I've learned the three forms, four self-defense techniques, and kicks/etc I need to advance, but I need to get in better shape and get better at my form stances and stuff before I can promote to green.

I took a taekwondo class during this past fall semester for a phy ed credit.  It was pretty fun, since I already knew everything that the beginner's class was being taught, and instead of sitting in line "learning" everything, I got to do drills and spar with the advanced students while being graded at a beginner's level.  (You're *required* to take the beginner level even if you already have martial arts knowledge.)  Our karate classes are more serious, while in this taekwondo class we did more training games sort of things (like get a giant ball, stand in a circle, and use the kicks and stuff we've learned to try and hit a person standing in the middle.)   It was a refreshing change.  I don't think I prefer the taekwondo style though, with such a focus on kicks.  The sparring rules, too, I thought were too strict (punches don't count for much, and you're not allowed to catch kicks, while in Budokai you can).  So I'm sticking with karate, but it was very interesting to try out a different style.

I tried Mixed Martial Arts once.  My karate instructor also runs a weekly MMA session, and it's also considered an extra practice day for karate people, so that's why I went.  It... wasn't the greatest introduction for me.  Picture this: an out-of-shape freshman girl trying to keep up with a bunch of older, much bigger, really fit, sweaty guys.   You can imagine how I stuck out.  And we were doing some wrestling sorts of moves too, and while the guys were professional about it, it was still pretty awkward for me being the only female in the room.  I think I'd maybe try it again if there were some other girls there, especially if they're closer to my fitness level, but not while I'm the only one.

Overall, though, I'm enjoying karate, plan to stick with it.  I hope that this year my instructor decides that I'm ready to go to New York with the higher belts in my class to train for a weekend with the founder of our style.

WoodlandWarrior

I've done Kenpo for about 20 years.  I've competed in many open tournaments, that is what they were called before the MMA craze took off a few yeas ago.  I think though, from all the styles that are blended within Kenpo, I prefer the Chinese martial art aspects of it the most.

I've been wanting for ages, to practice Kendo and Iaijutsu.  Sadly, the closest schools for either are quite far from me.  I've practiced on my own from books and dvds but as you know, learning that way isn't very good.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Maudie

I just learned Chakus Form last time I went to karate. Now I know all that I need to know to get my next belt, I just need to practice and do all of my "Spirit of the Martial arts" requirements!
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

BadgerLordFiredrake

Quote from: Mask on July 20, 2013, 05:20:52 PM
My brother did a very rare kind of Karate. There are only, like, two schools for it.  I won't tell you what, cause then with just a little bit of research you could figure out exactly where I live, and my mom would get mad at me, cause she's paranoid about internet safety, so yeah.
I just learned Chakus Form last time I went to karate. Now I know all that I need to know to get my next belt, I just need to practice and do all of my "Spirit of the Martial arts" requirements!
Pretty cool!

The thing about grappling martial arts is that you can inflict a lot of pain but minimal damage.  Jiu Jitsu does have awkward positions, but you can basically do anything to your opponent, from causing a little pain to knocking out to killing.  Can be painful to train though xD
baby turtle forever

SPSF kodachorm otter7486

krama ga its a very hard and deadly way to fight like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcu2sRnIlo

UNKN0WN

Demm Martial Arts masters are getting younger each year!