News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

LEAST favorite "good" race

Started by Blaggut, August 22, 2013, 07:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your LEAST favorite "good" race?

Otter
3 (4.1%)
Hare
6 (8.1%)
Squirrel
4 (5.4%)
Mice
8 (10.8%)
Mole
10 (13.5%)
Hedgehog
19 (25.7%)
Shrew
16 (21.6%)
Badger
8 (10.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

The Shade

They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Starla1431

Quote from: Tam and Martin on February 26, 2014, 07:21:00 PM
Quote from: Starla1431 on February 26, 2014, 04:23:18 PM
I also don't like moles. They're pretty boring.
Uh....Moles are good at some points. I'd prefer Moles over Hedgehogs though!

Meh, I still think they're boring, I don't find them funny, they barely do anything interesting to me and thier accent is a little hard to understand. I'd prefer hedgehogs over moles.

321tumbler

I love moles! I voted hedgehogs because though I loved some hedgehogs, I didn't particularly like any overall qualities (except for SPIKES!)

brocka

A lot of the hedgehogs were a little bit crazy. They held some beasts captive as slaves . Orkwil was not a likeable character, in my opinion.

Dannflower Reguba

You say they as if Hedgehogs made it a regular practice to have slaves. There was only one as I recall, and though there were a few that could certainly be seen as a little loopy, your stereotype for them should be derived from the vast number of Cellarhogs, they make a much better representation of the Redwall Hedgehogs.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

321tumbler

That's the reason I like Hedgehogs because of the Cellar Hogs.

Russa Nodrey

My favorite hedgehog was Durry from Marial of Redwall and The Bellmaker, Maybe it's just me, but all the rest didn't seem that.....interesting.
Freddy

Wylder Treejumper

Hedgehogs did not make very deep characters. Thats why I don't like them. And they seemed a bit more grey than other races, just like voles.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Dannflower Reguba

I wouldn't call hedgehogs grey, there were only a couple that were bad or neutral (not sure that there even was a neutral hedgehog). There were many Cellarhogs, and the hogs in the dunes, Gurgan + various other free-roaming good hedgehogs, etc. Hedgehogs displayed a very "good side" bias.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

W0NWILL

In response to some of the older responses, I like voles. Viola was awesome; the only 'fussy infirmary sister' to go on an adventure, and make a difference in the story, and Yoofus Lightpaw was hilarious. And don't forget Rollo, both as a baby(Shoot a sparrow wiv a big sharp arrow!) and as a venerable old recorder. Just because a species is grey doesn't mean it's not an interesting species. In fact, the grey voles and shrews were some of the best and most interesting characters I can remember. Take Druwp. He betrayed the slaves, but he was looking out for himself. I enjoyed reading about and even admired his self-preservation. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that he deserves to be slapped across the face.

As to the topic itself, I'd have to say badgers. Sure, there were some awesome badgers(Cregga!), but the species as a whole strikes me as out-of-control savages that sometimes made pretty flat characters. Lonna Bowstripe and Gorath the Flame, for instance.

MeadowR

^ Did Druwp survive? I can't even remember reading what happened to him. :0

Yeah, in a way the badgers become less interesting because it's always about how mighty they are - 'mightier-than-thou' feeling you get from them. Their ways are harder to associate with. I've never been the biggest fan of badgers either (not sure why, they're pretty cute creatures, really), so they don't naturally seem to interest me so much.

I did originally vote hedgehog, so I suppose that still stands, as they don't have too much depth to them usually.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

321tumbler

Quote from: W0NWILL on March 13, 2014, 01:06:54 AM
And don't forget Rollo, both as a baby(Shoot a sparrow wiv a big sharp arrow!) and as a venerable old recorder.

I forgot Rollo was a vole!

redwallbro

Mice always take the spotlight >:( That's why I chose mice.
Give 'em Blood an' Vinegar!!!

Wylder Treejumper

I don't really like badgers either... with the exception of Sunflash the Mace, of course.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: redwallbro on March 26, 2014, 12:29:04 PM
Mice always take the spotlight >:( That's why I chose mice.

I'd have to disagree with you on that, Squirrels became really popular later on, and otters recurred as more important characters a bit after that. Admittedly, they certainly seem to have a superior role placement than do any other species accepting badgers (I'm not very fond of mice by the way, I found them boring and repetitive).