News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Different accents of the creatures

Started by Cornflower Fieldmouse, July 27, 2011, 04:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower Fieldmouse

It's really cool how there are so many different kinds of accents in the Redwall books. It's so much fun to read aloud. What do you like about them?

Lutra

Well, unless you've watched the TV series, or listened to an audiobook, you don't see any noticeable difference in the writing itself, save for the molespeech.  I've heard an audiobook or two from Redwall, and yes, the accents are cool...moles namely because it still hard as ever to understand them.  :P
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Log-a-Log

I like the otters way of talking the best with all the nautical terms
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

Hares all the way! So fancy and posh, haha. ;D Molespeech is fun, too, though, that's for sure.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

An' wot about the Northlanderz; eh, laddie?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwall Musician

Hares accents are positively top hole, eh, wot!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Folgrimeo

I like the hare form of speech (there's just something about "bally" and "wot wot"), but for the rest I don't really mind. I used to hate molespeech as I couldn't think of any way for it to sound natural, but then I heard Grumm in Season 3 of the TV show and all that changed in an instant. Molespeech is quite endearing when given a rustic flavor. For anyone who doesn't understand molespeech nor likes it, you should give Grumm a listen. Similarly I don't care much for the Scottish accent as written in books (to this day I'm not entirely sure how "ken" means "know"), but I might change my mind if I heard it spoken.

DanielofRedwall

4 best: Hares, Moles, Otters and Sparrows! "Killee mouseworm!"
Received mostly negative reviews.

Gonff

I enjoy all the different accents of the different species and even the differences between Salamandastron hares and hares from the north.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Storm

In some book a Redwall accent is mentioned. Does any one have an idea as to what that would sound like? My favorite accents are the Northern accent and the hare's accent. I also love the searats accent. They sound like nasty otters. 
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

Hálig

I bet the Redwall accents are English accents, and then the rest of the people just sound different. :)

I like the Hares the most, they're the funniest, eh? Wot wot!  ;D
Click here to visit my site!

Proud Doctor Who fan!

Osu

I'd never really thought about what the Redwallers' accent sounds like, but I did wonder, especially when so many other creatures have mentioned it. I don't suppose real monks or abbey dwellers had an accent of sorts, perhaps?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lily

I always thought Redwallers spoke in the received pronunciation accent, or Oxford English, as it's mostly considered the "standard" English accent.

Dotti

Hare are so amazing!  I love the highland accents in Rakkety Tam!  That made the book so much more funny!
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques