News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Why you love Redwall.

Started by Redwall Musician, June 21, 2011, 03:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

One reason is because it's always there for you. I know how cheesy that sounds, but when your sick or sad or anything, you can just read a Redwall book and forget about everything.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Deogolf

Great setting, great characters, and great stories! Can't beat that!

Wot Wot!

Brian Jacques once said that animals make better people than people, and I have to agree with him there, especially the way he writes his amazing characters.

I love Redwall because there is always evil to fight.  Always.  There isn't just one master villain, but a whole series of villains, and in this instance it makes the books real, because there is always a need for good to triumph and be put to the test.

And Jacques does this with style and humor, too. 
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Trigoma

i love redwall because its the most open serise iv ever read! tht is u can visualize anyway u want and even put urself in the story!
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Trigoma on June 28, 2011, 06:26:03 AM
i love redwall because its the most open serise iv ever read! tht is u can visualize anyway u want and even put urself in the story!

Aye, and ye can even put yourself in the story as one of the characters, whether it be  hero, villain, or a neutral character!
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 22, 2011, 09:44:43 PM
Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on June 22, 2011, 08:37:12 PM
Quote from: Martha Braebuck on June 21, 2011, 05:46:09 PM
You like weasles? well, they are cool but they kill chickens, and I love chickens :o

Yet chickens are not good enough to make into a Redwall book...

That is because you don't see chickens running around wild.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_chicken
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

martins#1fan

Quote from: Trigoma on June 28, 2011, 06:26:03 AM
I couldn't agree MORE!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Tiria Wildlough

I love Redwall..we...ell, because it is the best piece of writing I have read in my life so far, and because when things were kind of tough for me, and I had no friends, I would read a Redwall book, in which I had friends.
OK, that sounds soppy, but Redwall is just awesome. Too, I like how even the character with the smallest part in the plot is coloured in sufficiently.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

AbbotPlumble

Hello, I just came into this forum community!  So hello to all and a big well met!

This question caught my eye for many reasons.  I love Redwall, because it is what people need.  Strength, Courage, Love, Compassion, Friendship. The writing shows the amazing deeds one can do, how good triumphs over evil, and how love and friendship can conquer all adversity.

I read some literary criticisms of the Redwall series, and I whole heartily disagreed.  It labeled the writing as too black and white, formulaic, and not in depth.  The thing is, being an avid sci-fi/fantasy reader...I grew tired of antiheroes, gritty and downtrodden worlds, suffering, all what one may call realistic themes.  The beauty of Redwall is that it captures such a wholesome and wonderful feel. A classic call to heroes of old!

I have never read a series, that sparked such emotion in me as did Redwall.  Each book of Redwall, has brought a tear to my eye.  But the tears, even during a sad part, was always joyful...due to the fact, good will always triumph.  And even in death, the hero, still performs some great deed of courage or selflessness
that saves or aids his friends.

And that is why I love Redwall.  For a gloomy day is always better when visiting the Abbey!

sabretache5611

Quote from: AbbotPlumble on July 04, 2011, 11:28:58 PM
Hello, I just came into this forum community!  So hello to all and a big well met!

This question caught my eye for many reasons.  I love Redwall, because it is what people need.  Strength, Courage, Love, Compassion, Friendship. The writing shows the amazing deeds one can do, how good triumphs over evil, and how love and friendship can conquer all adversity.

I read some literary criticisms of the Redwall series, and I whole heartily disagreed.  It labeled the writing as too black and white, formulaic, and not in depth.  The thing is, being an avid sci-fi/fantasy reader...I grew tired of antiheroes, gritty and downtrodden worlds, suffering, all what one may call realistic themes.  The beauty of Redwall is that it captures such a wholesome and wonderful feel. A classic call to heroes of old!

I have never read a series, that sparked such emotion in me as did Redwall.  Each book of Redwall, has brought a tear to my eye.  But the tears, even during a sad part, was always joyful...due to the fact, good will always triumph.  And even in death, the hero, still performs some great deed of courage or selflessness
that saves or aids his friends.

And that is why I love Redwall.  For a gloomy day is always better when visiting the Abbey!

second that.  though im new, i hope u have a great time in the forums.  i have topic on fav redwall ships
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=266.0

check it out,
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Captain Tammo

How could you not love redwall!? Mr. Jacques's detail and the way he manages to weave the story together is incredible!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Log-a-Log

The battle scenes and their strategies are really good, also the description of the food is amazing. By the way, are all of the different food and drinks real recipes?
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 11, 2011, 11:27:31 PM
The battle scenes and their strategies are really good, also the description of the food is amazing. By the way, are all of the different food and drinks real recipes?

A cookbook was published. Beyond that, I imagine they're mostly Redwall-only.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

rakkety tam

1 its midevil and has animals 2 of my fav things
2 the food sounds awsome
3  the mystery
4 rakety tam
5 it just sends a vibe off that it needs love ;D
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Nightfire

1: Because of the sheer style of writing, which has influenced me greatly in my own career as an author.
2: Because it is set in the medieval era, and I love medieval knights, swords and the like.
3: Because it's sheer awesomesauce.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.