News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

70th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz

Started by Jukka the Sling, January 27, 2015, 09:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Today is the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the concentration camp that killed 1.1 million people, most of them Jews. May we never forget this atrocity, and let's ensure nothing like it ever happens again.

A short history of Auschwitz.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Wylder Treejumper

"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Hickory

*salutes as well* Live in peace, those who have forever departed from us.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Delthion

My co-op and I went to C.A.N.D.L.E.S. once and met one of the survivors, she was really cool.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Skyblade

Amen, let us learn from history. We have the future; we can make it better :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Banya

One of the best HONY stories was an interview with an elderly man who claimed his favourite thing about America to be its diversity.  He pointed out that it's much harder to brainwash people who come from various backgrounds and walks of life - that coming from a man who used to wear a yellow star.
I don't think that diversity is unique to America anymore, but it reminds me to keep an open mind. 
Never again, anywhere.

The Mask

I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Hickory

Quote from: Skyblade on January 28, 2015, 04:00:00 AM
Not to break the mood, but the question is, will we make it better? (not that you are not, it's just that there are many people who won't)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on January 28, 2015, 01:10:43 PM
Quote from: Skyblade on January 28, 2015, 04:00:00 AM
Not to break the mood, but the question is, will we make it better? (not that you are not, it's just that there are many people who won't)

It's cool, and thank you. Honesty is a good thing. And thus I must admit that I don't know if people will make things better. But I post things that I find inspirational because I hope (perhaps a bit too idealistically?) that others will benefit from them. If I reach one person, I've done something :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Lady Amber

SilentSam

;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Aye, let av zoze vho fell durin', afore an' after ze liberation, zuffered in zem, commited or 'elped commit ze atrocitiez at the camp, an' etc. av be remembered, az vell az av vho fell durin', leadin' up tae, and follovin' Vorld Var II be remembered; on av zoidez. Let zem av rezt in peace.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.