News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens *SPOILER ALERT*

Started by Wylder Treejumper, December 24, 2015, 06:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your opinion of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens?

It was far better than I had imagined
11 (55%)
It was mostly the movie I had expected and wanted
7 (35%)
Meh...
1 (5%)
I'd rather be stuck in a car with Jar-Jar for 2 hours
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Wylder Treejumper

So, what did y'all think of it? I just saw it a couple of days ago (I was far too poor to buy tickets for opening night *sigh*) and was quite impressed. I had really low expectations for it, but I now honestly feel it is probably better off in Disney's hands than Lucas's. It was good to go back to the old feel of the Original Trilogy. Take that, prequels!

*BEWARE: SPOILERS*
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Gonff the Mousethief

Oh, it was amazing! I told my thoughts on the old forum, so I'll probably post them here soon.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

rachel25

I saw it the day after it came out. I also posted my thoughts on the other site but I'll say here that I really enjoyed it. It felt like a proper Star Wars film.

Vilu Daskar

I'd give it  three and a half - four stars.

Bad Things.
1. They killed Han. Yet everyone loves it and says it's awesome, amazing, or really good.
2. Kylo Ren is terrible with the force. Lightsaber is in the snow, he tries and fails to get it out. He can't get what he wants out of a guy who doesn't have the force. At least he's got an excuse with Rey but not with Poe.
3. I didn't like Ray. I don't know why so don't ask.

Good things.
1. Was more like IV, V, and VI.
2. Didn't have horrible characters like Jar Jar and Anakin in I and II.
3. Han Solo. Except he's Dead.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Groddil

SPOILERALERT!SPOILERERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERERTSPOILERALERTSPOILERERTSPOILERALERT!

I believe tvtropes calls Han's death an example of a "sacrificial lion". They killed him off to show how bad Kylo Ren turned out.

Wylder Treejumper

Honestly, I was impressed with the heroes: I had suspicions that Ray would not be up to snuff (wimpy, annoying, or ultra-aggressive) but she turned out a fair, if slightly flat character- although I'll excuse that because I have a feeling her major development is in VIII and IX. I liked Finn, they gave him some great dialogue. Han Solo was himself of course, stealing the whole movie (probably one of the reasons they had to kill him. No, not really, it was just that Harrison Ford would only sign for one movie). Poe Dameron was sufficiently awesome.

Really, I feel like the main disappointment was the villains. I'll take role: Kylo Ren- a much hyped villain who turned out look like Snape with Botoxed lips, and threw too many temper tantrums to be terrifying; Captain Phasma, a villain with great awesome potential who mostly does nothing the entire movie (though I still have great hopes for the next movies); General Hux, who reminds me of a young Hitler- appropriate for Stormtroopers, of course, but who was generally lacking in the awe factor I look for in villains; and of course Supreme Leader Snoke, who is just a giant Sith Gollum (he's even played by the same person as Gollum).
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Vilu Daskar

I wouldn't call Poe awesome, sure he's a great pilot, I mean seven TIEs in under ten seconds while turning, but he wasn't a great character.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Wylder Treejumper

I would say at some point that becomes a matter of opinion, but I wasn't talking about character. As far as that, he's pretty flat, yeah, but he's also a minor character.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Vilu Daskar

LT Sandpaw

Vilu I disagree with your statement on Kylo's ability on the force, he stopped a blaster bolt in mid shot and didn't even have to think about it again, it just hovered there while he FORCED FROZE Poe, he was dividing his attention and everything. His force abilities are quite phenomenal all-in-all. However I think he was simply outmatched in his duel against Ray (Not to mention he was wounded twice) She had raw talent where he had nothing but overconfident, and probably incomplete training.

Though I don't understand how come he sucks so much at lightsaber combat. He fought someone who had only touched a ligthsaber twice and came out worse for it. I can only think he was extremely overconfident going into that fight, or (spoiler alert) He was still in turmoil over killing his father only minutes before.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Vilu Daskar

The only thing he showed he could do with the force was freeze things and make a stuck lightsaber twist.

Wylder Treejumper

Yeah, that was another thing that I felt was kind of cheap. It took Luke the training of first Obi-Wan Kenobi, then later Yoda, for at least several months, to fully unlock his potential as a Jedi. Rey discovered the force on accident while being tortured and managed to overpower a Sith (albeit one incompletely trained) and then became a better lightsaber fighter by- wait for it- closing her eyes.

Either she has much more raw power than Luke, or even Anakin, or she's a sue. I can only hope that doesn't continue.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Jukka the Sling

I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS YET BUT OH MY WORRDDD THEY KILLED HAN?!?!?!?!  THANKS FOR THE SPOILER, VILU. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

I feel like Han's death was inevitable from the moment you found out that Kylo Ren was his son.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Maudie

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 25, 2015, 12:35:47 AM
I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS YET BUT OH MY WORRDDD THEY KILLED HAN?!?!?!?!  THANKS FOR THE SPOILER, VILU. :P
The important thing is they didn't kill Chewie. ;)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3