News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Voles

Started by Janglur Swifteye, September 23, 2011, 11:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janglur Swifteye

I always found voles to be an interesting species. They are good, sometimes (ex. Krubzy and co in Taggerung), they can be bad (a number of angry voles in all the books), or they can be sort of in the middle (yoofus lightpaw, the Grey One). There are also different kinds of voles, I think (bankvoles, fieldvoles, streamvoles). I always wondered what it would be like for a vole to be the main charaacter in one of the books. (I guess you could say that burble was a main character, but I mean MAIN character).

Tiria Wildlough

I HATE VOLES. >:( >:( >:(
At least, I hate most of them. They are generally annoying, crochety, treacherous, or all three. >:(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

Very true, but Baby Rollo and Cynthia were lovely.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Shinella

Yoofus Lightpaw always made me laugh, then he'd make me mad, then laugh again.. very twitchy character.. most voles were.. Hmm.. twould be interesting to have a vole as a main character..! It would be harder to wright though, depending on whose side the vole was on.. xD
Yesterday is history... Tomorrow is a mystery... Today is a gift... and that's why its called - The Present...

Captain Tammo

I hate voles too!!! But sometimes they're necessary
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nightfire

Sometimes, yes, like Yoofus and Didjety. I think they were actually the ONLY voles that I ever really liked. The one vole that I always really hated, was Colin Vole from Redwall.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Log-a-Log

Rollo was my favorite vole
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Nightfire

Baby bankvoles!!! Eeehhheeheehee!!!! I have some Anti-Vole Serum here from Slagar. Want some?
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

James Gryphon

Please try to stay on topic; this is the General Discussion forum and it would be preferable if we could keep everything in its place -- role-play on the role-play forum, fan material on the fan works forum, and off-topic discussion on those forums.

---

None of the voles bother me; I think that they are generally the most interesting and three-dimensional characters, and the closest thing to a gray species that appear in the series.
« Subject to editing »

Redwall Musician

I think people judge voles too much. Do none of you like Krozby and Sekkined (however you spell his name). If you want someone who is mean and grumpy, there are other species who do this too.

Trugga Bruster: He was a shrew and one of the meanest and annoying Log-a-logs is my opinion.

That hedgehog from Martin the Warrior, who's names has escaped me, was also very mean to Martin, Rose, Grumm, and Pallum.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

winifred

Quote from: Coobreedan on September 26, 2011, 05:00:25 PM
Very true, but Baby Rollo and Cynthia were lovely.
cynthia really?
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

winifred

Quote from: Redwall Musician on September 30, 2011, 03:50:37 AM
I think people judge voles too much. Do none of you like Krozby and Sekkined (however you spell his name). If you want someone who is mean and grumpy, there are other species who do this too.

Trugga Bruster: He was a shrew and one of the meanest and annoying Log-a-logs is my opinion.

That hedgehog from Martin the Warrior, who's names has escaped me, was also very mean to Martin, Rose, Grumm, and Pallum.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
the hedge hog in the sable quean was horrible!!!sorry going of subject voles are very crabby I have yet to read taggerung though so dont know many good voles yet!
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Dotti

Yoofus really bothered me.  I hated it when he ran off with Tam's claymore.  >:(  On the other hand, not all voles are bad.  Dippler from Marlfox was quite enjoyable.  I also like the voles from Triss, even though they play a small role.  I also believe there were a tribe of pleasant voles in Taggerung. 
However, voles strike me as the least pleasant of the good creatures.  There is definantly a higher percentage of "grey" voles than any other species in the books. (Yoofus, the head of Dippler's tribe, and a few other whose names I can't remember)  They certainly make interesting characters.
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

James Gryphon

Dippler was the shrew, not the vole -- you're referring to Burble.

I have to say that I like the voles better than many of the other species, precisely because they're not all alike. Most of the other good species are all identical -- all hares are basically the same as Basil, albeit with a different quirk. All otters behave the same except for Folgrim, all squirrels behave about the same, and so on. There are a few grayish shrews, but not many; mostly they're the same too.

I said in another topic that, when I was younger, I believed all the Skippers were the same character. The fact is that that's true for most of the others too -- if Brian Jacques had put, say, Basil Stag Hare in every book that had a hare protagonist in the main party, would any of them have been any different? There is no difference between Tarquin and Clecky -- likewise, there's scarcely a difference between most of the moles. Grumm, Dinny, Togget, it really doesn't matter. Dinny could have lived forever and been in every book and it wouldn't have changed much, in terms of personality.

The voles are the one species where I can say that all of their characters are different. It matters whether you have Lettie Bankvole, Viola Bankvole, or Didjety; it matters whether you have Yoofus, Druwp, or Tan Loc.

I'm not one to say the characters are too black and white, but I do think their personalities can be rather difficult to tell from each other, and the voles are the one species where that isn't the case.
« Subject to editing »

Log-a-Log

That's true every vole is different
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart